Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-520 NOT WORKING  (Read 432 times)
KD6DQS

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2001, 12:33:42 PM »

Anyone who has expertise on a Kenwood TS-520:
The radio will not put out audio, I accidentally reconnectd the VOX wrong and something is messed up.  I disconnected the VOX, but some diodes on the Rectifier unit are still smoking and there's no ALC meter reading or audio still.  Someone please help!  John.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2001, 02:57:37 PM »

I know the TS520 intimately, but need a lot more information.  How can you "connect the VOX wrong?"  VOX is not a connection, it's a function, controlled by the VOX switch, which is either on or off.

Rectifier unit diodes smoking?  How can that have anything to do with VOX?

You're leaving something out.  

Steve, WB2WIK/6
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2001, 04:20:50 PM »

Steve, found this post from 1/3/01, I guess he put the board back in, which had been removed, and caused the current problem, Dave N3bif

I NEED HELP WITH MY KENWOOD TS-520  Reply  
by KD6DQS on January 3, 2001  Mail this to a friend!  
I have a Kenwood TS-520 which I'm putting back in operation. The VOX board on this rig has been taken out and put back in but the wires which should connect to the side of the board nearest the rear of the radio are not connected. I don't know which wires go where. Please Help! Thanks.
John, KD6DQS  

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2001, 04:42:08 PM »

John -

I am going to make a leap a faith here.  You probably do not have much experience in electronics or radio repair (do not count personal computer work) and little equipment.

If the above is true, I would suggest getting you radio to a "qualified" techncian for a quick assessment and repair.
Take the "I'll fix it myself" route, and most of the time the radio is scrap or junk and ends up as a parts radio on eBay (I see enough Yaesu FT-101 that met that fate).  Think of it as a valuable "classic" automobile, its worth more if runs and looks great.

I highly suggest contacting Clif at AVVID for Kenwood TS-520 repair.  You can e-mail him with your situation.  Clif@avvid.com
http://www.avvid.com/

When you do deal with a technician, be honest in the way you received your radio and what you have personally done.  Can greatly shorten troubleshooting.

G. Beat
w9gb

KA2QFX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2001, 07:22:22 PM »

John:
        Sorry to hear your still doing battle with this problem.  I can't find a copy of the email I sent you regarding putting this rig back together. I was going to review it to see what I may have left out that could help you. Want to send me a copy if you still have it and I'll go over the details again if you like.
     You didn't mention if you ever got the VOX board back in. If so, chances are you've discovered why you took it out in the first place.  Certaily the VOX board was overloading the 12 volt supply if it wasn't in the radio. Smiley
     Actually,  I have to agree with the last post. If you weren't able to restore the radio by reconnecting the VOX board with all the detail I gave you perhaps someone needs to troubleshoot it down to the component level, or at least troubleshoot the 12 volt overload board by board.  Could be anything since 12 volts appears on almost every board, and if you're not familiar with following schematics you're best advised to ship it off somewhere.
    Hope you get things resolved, it's a nice radio.

Mark
KA2QFX

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: