Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit SB-220  (Read 986 times)
KG4YMR

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2004, 11:06:28 AM »

I've just about finished restoring a SB-220. I am trying to check the power supply HV without the tubes installed. I tried this but the bottom breaker goes out when I attempt to turn on the amp. It is wired for 220 volts. The safety switch is not installed. Is this supposed to happen when the tubes are not installed? Does it sound like a bad high voltage power supply?
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 02:01:49 PM »

Could be.  Other possibilities might include diodes in the HV are shorted, or something touching something that shouldn't be!  Probably the most likely cause, though, is a bad transformer.  Good luck.  Ed
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 07:07:30 PM »

Does the amp have a high voltage interlock that shorts out the power supply if the cover is removed?  If so, that could be the problem.

There's nothing in the SB-220 or any amplifier I've ever seen that will create problems if the tubes are not installed in their sockets and full DC voltage is applied.  Of course, be sure the 3-500Z anode cooler/caps aren't touching the chassis (or anything else, for that matter)!

WB2WIK/6
KG4YMR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 07:54:44 PM »

Thank you both for the quick responses. I'm going to take a good look and make sure nothing is shorted. I'm then going to switch the breakers around, can only hope for something as simple as a bad breaker. The safety interlock has been removed. Sure hope I don't need a transformer!
KG4YMR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 08:54:43 PM »

Success!! So Far??? Metering board was wired wrong from previous owner. I made the mistake of assuming since it was a new board, that it was installed correctly. Meter doesn't show any voltage, I may have to change some diodes or just replace the entire board. I do have one more question. I'm concerned about one lead of the 6kv capacitor that comes off of the feed-through insulator. One of the legs feeds through a solder lug. Is one of the legs of the Capacitor supposed to touch ground?? It just looks strange to me.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 10:11:58 AM »

Why don't you purchase the SB-220 assmbly manual from Heathkit (or get from BAMA)?

That way you know how it should be assembled .. sounds like a golden screwdriver unit.

gb
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: