About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VX-5R  (Read 363 times)
KC7ZLJ

Ignore
« on: November 12, 2001, 01:02:12 AM »

I have a 5R that I purchased used recently. The radio performs well, and is in good shape, but when i charge it and then check the voltage with the radio's internal check, and it will read 8.2 -8.5V! And the radio only has the 7.2V LI pack. does this mean that the battery is nearing it's end? I also notice mixed signals comming from the battery icon on the display. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Thank you,  
Cecil Beal KC7ZLJ.
VE6BGM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2001, 01:13:15 AM »

I have had the VX-5R for 2 years and it has always showed 8.3V afer charging.  Have had problems with the Li battery.  So, I would say that you should not experience any problems with this reading.

Bob
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2001, 06:42:59 PM »

I believe that LI batteries are actually 2.1 volts each or thereabouts. So, 4 batteries in the pack would be 8.4V or thereabouts also. Regular alkaline type batteries are from 1.6 to 1.8 volts each and therefore the pack voltage is rated at 7.2V. Since the radio will run on 7.2 volts to 12V, I see no reason to worry especially since the charger unit is 12V output. The thing about NiCads and LI batteries is the voltage is stable until near the end of the charge cycle and drops off quickly. Unlike an alkaline cell that looses it's charge slowly and shows a tapered voltage loss if it were graphed, the NiCads and LI show a fairly flat voltage line until it suddenly drops.
Frank
KL7IPV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: