Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood PS-430  (Read 1054 times)
S57LWG

Ignore
« on: November 12, 2001, 01:41:03 PM »

Hay!
A few days ago after a long time i try again to
"get out" in digital mode(stream,hellschriber, mt62,etc..) but my power suply has spoli.I chek the fuse at the back and it was ok but the fuse inside has blow -i change the fuse several time and every time i start to work on digital modes the fuse gone again after few seconds (5-10sec.) -in other modes the suply works fine (ssb,cw).If anyone know what is the problem please let  me know..
Thanks
de S57LWG MIKE

(i work before in digital modes with this powre suply in past with no problems)
KD7HVL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2001, 07:59:41 PM »

Hello

I believe from what you are trying to say that you have a power supply tht has gone bad.  It is common for a power supply to do this as durring digital modes the current requirement goes to 100% and that means your spower supply has to be working correctly.  I believe you have some shorted diodes in the bridge rectifier circuit.  If you continue to use this supply it will only get worse and eventually within a short time stop to work at all.  Any tecky should be able to fix this for you.  This is not high teck work.

Frank KD7HVL
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2001, 11:46:24 PM »

Or possibly a faulty voltage regulator or reference, causing overvoltage, thus causing the crowbar to short and blow a fuse?

I would meter the output and see what is happening..is the voltage climbing high before the fuse blows?  What amperage is the fuse you are using?  And how much power are you outputting when this happens?  Does reducing the power help?

Steve, KE4MOB
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2001, 12:25:07 PM »

Mike -

You have not said what transceiver that you are using this supply with.  Can I assume the Kenwood 430 tranceiver ?

If so, you have either an RF issue (RF getting into the power supply) or component failure within PS-430.

w9gb
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2001, 10:27:45 PM »

From your email you said its blowing a 20 A fuse on 60 W output.  Something's wrong!  

I'm wondering where the fuse is located in the circuit...is it on the ouput of the supply or on the output of the secondary?  Depending on where it is in the circuit, it could mean different things.

Anybody got a schematic? All I have is one for a PS-53!

Steve, KE4MOB

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: