Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fixed location Outbacker Users....Help !  (Read 340 times)
VA2DV

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2001, 07:10:02 PM »

I would like to share information with hams
using a Outbacker antenna at home or portable.
Any counterpoise/tripod or setup info will be
appreciated !
Thanks !
KJ6ETL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2001, 04:14:40 AM »

Use a 2nd Outbacker and a 1:1 Balun to create a dipole.
I dont know if its possible at your qth but I would put it horizontaly on a telescopic (pnematic...) mast with a rotor :-)

I have don so in the past with other "mobile" antenna's and is worked fine.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2001, 10:25:29 AM »

It is really straight forward (if you use the counterpoise - hey its a vertical !!)

I use the Outreach antenna with the Alpha-Delta (Outback) counterpoise up at 30 feet above ground (patio).

Counterpoise is attached via a wire to a ground pipe 30 feet below (reference/drain)

You may wish to use a "choke" balun at the feedpoint (I built The Wireman version) IF you are going to use the Outreach with an antenna tuner on the lower frequencies ( 40, 75, 80, 160 ) to get a bit more operating bandwidth.

w9gb
VK2NEW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2001, 07:01:06 PM »

I have a Outbacker Perthplus (80 to 2metres) mounted on a aluminium tripod which stands about 4' high when fully extended. Also for the counterpoise I use a 7-metre long length of thick copper OFC, which I un/roll/up to a 1/4 wave for the band in use to get alow VSWR. For abetter result I make sure the counterpoise is raised and not placed on the earth or ground itself.
 The Perthplus is about 2 metres long where the main body is 900mm and the stinger is also 900mm. When all compacted it is small enought for portable use and I must say it works pretty good. But if you want to use a O/B for fixed location, I would recommend the Outreach which is about 3 metres long but it has a high price to go with it. I just can not beleive the price of the O/B antennas which are sold in the States and Europe.
 Good luck Anthony VK2NEW.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: