Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which HF Power Supply  (Read 1188 times)
VE4HST

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2001, 07:43:16 PM »

When they come out in Canada I plan to buy the Icom 746PRO.  My question is what power supply should I be looking at.  The tanseiver needs a 13.8VDC supply.  The matching,switching, Icom supply is far to expensive.  Two dealers recommend either the Alinco-ALI-DM 330MV 32Amp variable supply or the equivalent power supply made by Astron corporation.  Does anyone have the model number of this one?  

Is it important they be variable?   What is the difference between these two supplies?

And most imprtant--Which is better?

73's
VE4HST
Harry
W7RKU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2001, 07:59:26 PM »

I do not support the use of a variable volt supply - It is way too easy to accidently bump the knob and get a way low voltage - This WILL eat your rig.  If you must adjust your voltage the regular Astron has a internal pot.  Beware that the AMP meter on this type supply is NOT a direct reading meter - it is an approximation derived from regulator current.  The icom supply is expensive for a reason - no hash.

Good Luck and enjoy

Vic  W7RKU
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2001, 08:25:47 PM »

I have been using the Astron RS-35A for quite a while with my Icom-746 with no problems or hash.
25 Amps Continuous Duty, 35 ICS Amps.

Jerry
WQ8Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2001, 08:42:12 PM »

Do yourself a favor and get an Astron RS or RM 35 and it'll work for you forever.  It's a might on the heavy side, but if you're not going to be moving it around, it'll do all you need. Don't get anything smaller.
WQ8Q

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2001, 08:45:28 PM »

Sorry, on my last post . . . make that an Astron RS35A or RS35M the the M has amp and voltage meters.
KA4WJA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2001, 08:48:57 PM »

Harry,
I agree with the others..
An Astron RS-35!

But, I do have a question for you...
What rig and power supply are you presently using???
(maybe you won't need a new supply...)

Good luck.
John,  KA4WJA

K3VO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2001, 09:27:34 PM »

I have been using the Astron SS-30 with my IC-746. Works greaat, is small and light, and less expensive then the others. Has a good margain of saftey.

73s
Ed K3VO
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2001, 10:20:07 PM »

Hi: In a word - Astron. Our club has tried everything on our repeaters and the Astrons take a kicking and keep on ticking. Others didn't.

I'm using the switcher at my office, but I prefer the regular, old fasioned, and excellent types with about 25% more current rating than my rig draws. After all, there's no telling what kind of accessories I might wind up hooking up to the power supply.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2001, 10:48:04 PM »

I've used an Astron SS30M for 2 years now with no problems or interference from the unit.  (Its properly filtered for use with communications equipment.)  The question of linear versus switching should be addressed. If you go in for field day, its a whole lot easier hauling a switching power supply than a linear otherwise, perhaps a linear is little more heavy duty.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2001, 01:29:31 AM »

I don't know if they are still available, but I used a Tripplite 12VDC25A supply for years with my TenTecs, Kenwoods and Icoms with ABSOLUTELY no trouble. I say if you go with a brand name like Astron or Tripplite with the current handling capability you need, you wont go wrong.
Frank
KL7IPV

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2001, 02:26:36 AM »

Hello Harry, I have two Astron 35M power supplys and I use one to power my Icom 756 Pro. and the other for a couple other rigs. My Icom 756 Pro and the Astron 35M work very well together..73's  Bill
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2001, 10:19:23 AM »

Astron 35M (I like the meters to tell me what voltage is and current being drawn by transceiver)

Choose the 35A model, if you want a plain brick with no meters.
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2001, 11:16:23 AM »

Even the smaller Astron RS-20 will do the job. The RS-35 will run cooler and give you plenty of head room.
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2001, 11:19:38 AM »

Even the smaller Astron RS-20 will do the job for you. I have used one on 2 differrent Yaesu rigs with no problem. The RS-35 will run cooler and give you extra "head room".
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2001, 10:14:36 PM »

Astron RS-35A without question. I am known as a ham who can fix power supplies thus I have receive a lot of broken power supplies over the years. I have not had to repair an Astron Linear type yet. All others listed above including Pyramid have come across my bench. The RS35A is much heavier in construction over the RS20A. Larger transformer and four pass transistors vs two in the RS-20A. Cooler operating pass transistors with the larger heatsink do the following- for every 10 degrees C drop in transistor junction temperature doubles the life per Motorola. The Astron RS-35A is a linear type, thus do not produce any RF generated noise. The additional $50 over the  RS20A is worth it. Oh yea, I had to repair a new switcher already. The switcher I repaired did not have a true crowbar for over-voltage, the over-voltge was managed by the SAME IC! No good. Anyways, guess what I own!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: