Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you really need a  (Read 261 times)
KE4WLE

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2001, 05:41:47 PM »

I'm a tech w/o code, and I do some scanning on the side as well... I just bought a new house, and I'm going to put up a Ringo 2m vertical in the backyard.  If I want to do scanning, can i just use that or should I really invest in a scanning antenna?

thanks!
R-
WD8DBY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2001, 05:51:07 PM »

This difference between your 2 meter antenna and a scanner antenna is the bandwidth over which the antenna will optimal reception.  A scanner is optimized to provide wider reception over a larger range of frequencies than your 2 meter.  Having said that, the 2 meter antenna will still pull RF from the air and supply it to your scanner.

Hope this helps.

Paul
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2001, 06:04:23 PM »

That ring on the bottom of the Ringo Ranger is going to shunt frequencies that are very far removed from its resonant point in the 2M band, limiting the range.

Check out the Diamond D130J discone antenna. It covers 25 to 1300 Mhz receive and 60 to 1300 Mhz plus 6 meters transmit. I think Radio Shack has a similar discone that may be a bit less expensive. The Diamond is mostly stainless steel.
KA4WJA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2001, 11:32:32 PM »

Richard,
The short answer is: Try your 2 meter Ringo...
If you like the way it works... You've saved some $$$$
If it doesn't work the way you like... check out some "scanner" antennas....but my experience with the
"consumer" scanner discones has been VERY disappointing!!
  I had a friend that found his 2 meter J-pole worked better for vhf (150mhz) and uhf (450mhz) public service monitoring than his commercially made "scanner discone" (both mounted at similar heights with similar coax runs....) He was using an Icom IC-R7000 Receiver..
We ended up putting a Diawa 2-way coax switch in his shack to switch his j-pole from his 2 meter rig and the R7000.... It worked fine!

Good luck.
John,  KA4WJA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: