Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Needed good all around amp  (Read 3781 times)
KC0MQR

Ignore
« on: June 13, 2003, 02:10:14 PM »

I am considering buying a good all around amp for use
on 160 thru 6 mtr. The more I look the more confused I
get. Seems as if to do this I would have to own 2 amps
or forget 6 mtr for now. Also sticker shok is a problem. One thing for sure I am learning a lot!!! Not hearing some very good coments about some of the amps on the market.

Thanks in advance John KC0MQR  73
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2003, 11:20:07 AM »

I have been waiting for someone else to jump in with an answer, but since no one has ...

With the possible exception of the Yeasu ($4000) solid state amp, I don't think you will find a single amp to cover 160-6. An amp with that wide coverage is not as easy to design and produce as the typical transceiver. You are much better off with two separate amps. 6m amps are not as common as HF amps, by the way.

As for sticker shock, welcome to the real world. Smiley With amps, you tend to get what you pay for - bottom end amps have cheaper components and construction and fewer bells and whistles. More expensive amps are better built, longer lasting (if not abused) and so forth.

I suggest to consider buying a used amp from someone you are familiar with. The AL-811 and Al-80A and B are often available for under $500 and $750, respectively. Both use inexpensive tubes and are easy to use. The Heath SB-200 is another good, used amp that is often moderately priced.

Go through the amp reviews and do some reasearch before you make a decision.

I hope this helps.

Lon
KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2003, 08:48:33 PM »

Take a look at the ACOM amplifier. See http://www.hfpower.com/ACOM1000.htm and reviews on this website under equipment reviews, amplifiers. Good amp they say and covers 160-6.

KG6AMW
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2003, 10:05:45 PM »

I had good luck with the Ameritron 811 and also used cliperton L's.  the tubes for the 811 are much cheaper and easier to find.  I find that usually 300 to 500 watts is pleanty. I very seldom use more.  for 6 meters try to find a good used solid state Mirage amp or similar.  usually 6 meters is ok with 100 watts or so, when it is in , you can work qrp on a wet noodle,  and when its out... 1500watts and a 10 ele beam doesn't help...73  tom N6AJR
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 01:55:21 PM »

To avoid sticker shock, give up on the six meter feature.  The amps that cover 160-6m are indeed pricey.

Best bang for the buck with HF amps currently are various Ameritron models, most of which are solid, accepted, mature in design and wide in circulation...and are typically in the $1-to-$1.50-per-Watt cost range, not bad.

Of course, used amps can certainly cost less; but if you're not an amplifier expert a used amp can prove a poor investment.

WB2WIK/6
KE4ZHN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2003, 07:03:54 PM »

Pick yourself up a nice AL80B and forget an amp on 6! I have seen AL80`s sell at hamfests for as little as $400! This gives 160-10 and a good clean KW of power. On 6 you shouldnt need more then 100 watts anyway. And if you want to run big power on 6, your asking for neighbor troubles anyway. 6 is a known TVI band for obvious reasons. With a small 3 element yagi and 100 watts, you ought to be able to work anyone you can hear on 6 mtrs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: