Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom Tune Control 706  (Read 964 times)
KG8ZH

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2002, 08:27:54 AM »

I have one of those aftermarket tune control devices on my ic718. they are used to make the tune button generate a carrier for manual tuning. They are advertised as a 706 tune control, but will work on any Icom rig that supports the AH-4 tuner. Recently, I have seen a few sources on the internet state that their rigs were damaged by using these devices and Icom discourages their use. If anybody has any info regarding this I would appreciate the feedback. I am debating weather to discontinue using it.

Chuck KG8ZH
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2002, 11:13:50 AM »

Hello,

I was going to build one myself. Just cant bring myself to pay for a connector, a resistor, plus a couple of wires. I'm curious however, can you point me to the places on the web that say it damages the rig? What kind of damage is reported? From looking at the schematics of the radio, I can't see how it would damage it, the device just fools the radio into thinking it's connected to an auto tuner.

Interested in the data!

K5DVW
KG8ZH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2002, 11:28:48 AM »

K5DVW

I just saw a posting on the IC706 YahooGroups.com from a guy who said his rig went down and he sent it back to Icom. They told him the traces to the PA board were burned out from using a tune control unit. I am trying to figure out why that would happen. I did call Icom and they said the use of a tune control is not recommended but did not say why. On the other hand Icom might want you to buy their tuner.The only thin I can come up with is that tune time is usually a lot longer than with an autotuner. Maybe the traces are too flimsy to handle that. Again I don't really know if the problem really exists and am hoping for some feedback on it. The posting on yahoogroups was not the first time I heard that,but it is the only one that comes to mind right now. The actual posting was titled high SWR.

Chuck
WB9OVV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2002, 12:16:37 PM »

I have used a "Tune Control Unit" on my IC-706 MkII for two years now.  I haven't had any problems with it at all
K8YS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2002, 12:20:09 PM »

I have not seen a warning about "damage", but I found the hard way that if something SHORTS out the control line to the AH-4, it will blow the 4a fuse inside the IC-706... so, following that line of thought, I suppose that if you cannot construct the device correctly or someone has not built it correctly, then do not use a larger fuse inside the rig then the one suggested by Icom.

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: