Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather monitoring equipment  (Read 507 times)
KB1HJW

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2002, 03:27:52 PM »

Does anyone have a source for basic weather monitoring equipment. All I want is a dual thermometer (one indoor, one outdoor) and a barometer (for actual pressure readings, not just trends). I don't need wireless remote sensors (which transmit in the middle of 70cm) or an atomic clock, which most of them seem to have. I've already looked at weathershop.com and oregonscientific.com - neither of which offers just the basics.
KA9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2002, 05:22:06 PM »

Target has some devices that give indoor and outdoor readings, but I think most of the equipment is wireless.  Radio Shack offers some products in this catagory too.  
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2002, 05:51:21 PM »

I've run into the same dilemma: I don't want the "wireless" instruments because they do indeed cause and receive RFI, so I'd prefer a "cabled" model for the remote temperature sensor.

Of course, you don't need a remote barometer sensor, unless your house is hermetically sealed!

The other problem: Barometers are totally worthless if they're cheap and not adjustable to compensate for altitude.  I've used a variety of "under $100" type barometers for years, and they all stink.  (Reference: Against the readings taken using professional instruments at Van Nuys Airport, which I can literally see from my tower.  I trust their readings, which seem to agree with the local NOAA station; I cannot trust "my" readings, which are always different!)

The only barometric instruments I've found that start to agree with the pros are the ones found at maritime shops, starting at about $249 or so in cost.  And they don't contain thermometers!

73 de Steve, WB2WIK/6
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2002, 06:48:14 PM »

HI: If you don't mind running cables the Shack has indoor/outdoor thermometers plumb cheap. I have a half dozen of various models up and running. I have to change batteries about once a year, but that's a small problem.

I don't trust the electronic barometers from any source. High end mechanical barometers range from nice to absolutely wonderful, but they have to be hand adjusted to your altitude (height above sea level) to be accurate. Hopefully, your local FBO (airport)or NWS office can provide an accurate barometric pressure so you can adjust your own.

But even a faily cheap discount store barometer will do a good job PROVIDED you hand calibrate the thing against a known good barometer at your altitude. A friend lives a couple of blocks from a NWS office and his ten buck K-Mart special has been on the money with the official reading for years. Just make sure it has an adjustment before you buy one because many don't.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2002, 08:18:50 PM »

Or you could install the free program on your computer Weather Bug: http://ww3.weatherbug.com/aws/
Have all the weather at your fingertips.
KB1HJW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2002, 09:26:36 PM »

I have to say that "weatherbug" is pretty slick. It should suffice until I get non-commercial power dependant weather monitoring equipment. Thanks for the tip.

While we are on the subject, what type of equipment is generally recommended to be active in Skywarn?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: