Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Meter 1/4 Wave Vertical and Counterpoise  (Read 2807 times)
N6SVP

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2002, 01:49:43 PM »

Hello All.

Since the DX on 10 meters has been so good lately, I wanted to get in on it.  Using the auto tuner on my FT-920, I have a few 100K of bandwidth using my 15 meter antenna but, I’d like to do better = more bandwidth & more efficiency.

I’m considering using a 102” CB whip, ground mounted as a vertical, BUT…there’s always a “but”….those darn radials.   I regularly mow the area of the back yard where I’m considering placing this antenna, so I can’t lay the radials above ground, and since it’s a rented place, I’m not gonna dig up the back yard to bury them.  

So it seems like the only other alternative is a long wire counterpoise.  From what limited reading, I’ve done on counterpoises, it seems that although, I MAY be able to get the SWR where I need/want it, my radiation pattern will be less than optimum.  Am I correct?  Something tells me that there’s really just now way around those radial for a 1/4 wave vertical.

Thanks in advance.

Sheldon

N6SVP
WB6ROH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2002, 02:11:42 PM »

If you have a vent on the roof, mount the "whip" there and just drape four wires 90 degrees apart as radials. You will be pleased with the performance and more so than with a ground-mounted version.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2002, 02:21:50 PM »

I completely agree.  A "ground plane" antenna, which is a 1/4-wave vertical radiator with 3-4 sloping radials below it (CB versions sell for as little as $29 brand new and work great!) is a far, far, far better solution and doesn't involve yard work.  The Solarcon/Antron A99 antenna, which actually has about 3dB gain over a ground plane and has no radials at all, just a skinny, sleek white fibreglas pole that hardly looks like an antenna, works even better and costs in the $50 range, brand new.

P.S.  My experience with the A99 is that while it works great installed on a rooftop, chimney mount, etc, it works pretty well sitting on the ground, leaning against the porch railing.  It is a ground independent vertical and does not require radials.  And since it's made of fibreglas, it can lean against things like porch railings without problems or worry of starting fires, etc.  A wonderful choice.

WB2WIK/6
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2002, 08:43:08 PM »

Radio shack sells a radial kit for the 10 meter verticle and I think it helps with the swr, I seem to get out better with the radials added too. (same antenna sold under R.S. name I think)
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2002, 11:57:58 AM »

A agree that you are likely to have better results if you can get the
antenna up off the ground.  Perhaps you can mount it at the edge
of the roof and run one radial each direction in the rain gutter.  (Or
just use the rain gutter for the radials if it is metal.)

However, if ground mounting is your best option, it will work best
if the radials are NOT burried in the dirt.  The easiest approach that
I have found is to lay the radials on top of the ground and hold them
down with little wire staples.  (A 2" piece of baling wire or rebar tie
wire bent in half works great, or the staples used to hold barbed
wire to a wooden fence post.)  You can use fairly thin magnet wire
so the wire is cheap and hard to see.  If you mow the grass very
short you can lay down the wires without too much trouble, then
just let the grass grow back over it.  Then you can mow the lawn
at the regular height without fear of hitting the wires.

While you are doing it, I'd suggest you put out at least 16 radials.
The exact length doesn't matter (since the ground coupling makes
them non-resonant) but 8 -10' would be a good length.  With 16
radials, if you do accidentally mow off one or two of them, it still
should work as well.

Good luck! - Dale WB6BYU
N6SVP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2002, 12:21:37 PM »

Thank you all for your suggestions.  

It looks like the A99 is the way to go, or if I'm smart with my radials, they may not be as big as a hassle as I thought – i.e. WB6BYU’s suggestion of letting the grass grow over them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: