Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starter Rig  (Read 613 times)
JOINUSAF

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2002, 01:15:54 PM »

I am set to take and pass my technicans license next Friday and am wondering about what rig to get.  I am looking at a HT for local 2meter possibly the HTX-202 from Radio Shack.  I am looking for info on a decent mobile rig for my truck considering e-bay.  Don't want to spend to much $$$ because I know I will upgrade with in the year or two.  Thanks
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2002, 01:27:37 PM »

The HTX-202's a good little hand held.  I just bought a Vertex-Standard VX-150 for $139 (on sale at HRO) and am quite pleased with it, too, so far.  Easy to program, seems to work well, nice sounding audio.  I sure wouldn't make it a "main rig" of any kind; its purpose is to take portable with me for occasional outings, and my older 2m HT (a Kenwood TH28A) was getting too old to be reliable.

Bear in mind these rigs are designed to meet a cost goal and little else.  None of them are great.

Recommendaton: Pass the test first, and celebrate by buying yourself a gift!

Another recommendation: "Test drive" anything you can, first, before buying it.  If you don't live anywhere near a store where ham gear is sold, try the local newspapers, local ham radio swap meet or flea market, and "local" deals found via this website, QRZ.com,  QTH.com, etc.  Reason: Anything purchased sight unseen is very likely to be disappointing.

Good luck!!

WB2WIK/6
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2002, 01:28:36 PM »

Hi: I would not purchase a "first rig" on E-bay. Something to fill out my collection of Benton Harbor Lunchboxes and other shelf ornaments, sure. Something I know I will have to fix before I can use it? Sure, I've done that. Something I plan to use every day? ; no, no, and no. A one and only rig? H! NO!

Try the sales from the major ham retailers. I just bought another Icom 2m mobile rig from AES for about $125, and my granddaughter loves it. It's new, it's warranted, it's never been abused or misused, and it came with all the accessories that it's supposed to have.

And - I have bought some spectacular lemons over the years but none of them had Icom or Ten Tec on the label.

73  Pete Allen AC5E
JOINUSAF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2002, 01:38:39 PM »

Thanks for the tips on E-bay.  I have no idea where to start as far as websites for the major ham dealers.  The local club doesn't meet for another 3-4 weeks I will hopefully have my paper license by then.  But if I have to wait I will.  
N7NHS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2002, 01:58:22 PM »

Congrats on the up and coming ticket. It is refreshing to see new involvement. I have bought and sold a great deal on ebay with NO problems. But then again I deal in nascar items. If you watch yourself and check feedbacks and past history you should be ok. I do know of several people that have bought from Ebay and have had great luck with ham radio equipment. I have also heard some bad stories. Some places to try on the web are ...www.amcominc.com (Carlos usually offers double mfg warranty, and is very nice company to deal with), http://swap.qth.com , http://www.hamrad.com , http://www.qrz.com , http://www.alpcom.it/hamradio/w3hr.html.... BEST OF LUCK and again congrats
Maurice N7NHS
JOINUSAF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2002, 02:10:28 PM »

Thanks for the web sites, i will be sure to check them out.  

Mike
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2002, 02:57:39 PM »

You don't lose 2m priviledges when you upgrade!  Get a good 2m
rig now and plan to keep it for a while, either an HT or a mobile
rig.

When you upgrade, you can get an HF rig to go along with it.
Sure, some of the newer rigs cover both, but I like to be able to
tune the HF bands while chatting on 2m.  (It is also helpful to have
two rigs when you are trying to adjust the HF rig on the air -
a local ham can give you feedback about your audio quality on
2m as you make the adjustments.)
KC8SBV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2002, 04:02:29 PM »

Also, read the product reviews here concerning prospects, and ask questions about it here.  There are many who buy a new rig and say that the old rig had a better rx!  Find out before you buy.
K1TWH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2002, 04:02:58 PM »

I've seen brand new Alinco DJ-195 handy talkies going for $100 plus some shipping from RadioShack.com on ebay.  It would be hard to beat that for a deal.  If your interested, they are selling off Alinco DX-70TD HF-6M rigs for $380.  That too is tough to beat.  I've used a DX-70T for 5 years now and paid mre than twice that for mine.  It is a good radio.
Tom Howey  WB1FPA   wb1fpa@arrl.net
KD6ELB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2002, 04:21:57 PM »

As far as mobile rigs are concerned, I am very happy with my Yaesu FT-1500M.  It was $139.95 from HRO and covers 2m only.  It has 100+ memories, Weather bands and general coverage.  It puts out 5/10/25/50W and I have had good signal reports from it.  It's small and ruggedly built.

The Icom IC-2100H seems to be highly recommended too - it may be $10 cheaper as well.

Good luck on the upcoming test.

Richard
KD6ELB
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2002, 04:50:41 AM »

I have bought and sold lots on ebay, and have yet to be stung.  Stay away from "selling for a friend and I don't know any thing about these radios"  or the "Picked up from a silent key sale and helping out the widow" type of auction.. always sold as is.  A typical sale I will bid on as " I am up grading and this is now excess to my needs" or "cleaning out the shack and figured some one else could get some use out of it".  You have to use a little judgement..but I picked up lots of rigs that work fine.  I have a couple friends that just got their tickets and  I gave both of them a mag mount antenna, a 30 watt 2meter amp, and a 2 meter HT and they use them mobile with the amp, at home with the amp and a power supply, and  as a HT.. I have less than $100 tied up in either of them all bought on ebay.. so your choice, but get something and have fun  tom  N6AJR
KB1HJW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2002, 09:38:53 AM »

Since you already plan to upgrade your rig within a year or two, get "that" rig now. My Elmers gave me that advise, and I'm glad they did. I bought the Icom IC706MKIIG (yes, it's pricy - but well worth it) and am extremely glad I did. It can be a base rig, as well as a mobile one (make up some quick disconnects to move it back and forth). We even used it this past weekend in the CW contest when one of the club rigs wouldn't come up. You can use it on 2m as a Tech, and everywhere else when you get your General in another couple months ;-)
KG4FET

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2002, 08:19:48 AM »

The best thing you could do for yourself, and by the way it is what I did, is to buy one of the "has it all rigs" such as the Yaesu FT 100/847.  In these rigs you have the capability to run 70 cm to 6 mtrs in all modes including SSB/CW/FM/and even AM such as on 6 mtrs there is more and more of an AM following.  With a rig such as this you get a chance to get your feet wet in all that the Technitions ticket has to offer, such as sattelite communications, digital communitcations including the wonderful world of the Sound card digital programs such as PSK 31, SSB DX on 70 cm - 6 mtrs with the odd chance of DX into Europe and certainly into to South America.  With al of this to offer and the fact that it is incetinve to upgrade because you have all of the HF bands to listen on and hear what you are missing makes one of these all band all mode rigs the first choice to look at.
73 and all the best
DE KG4FET Sandor PROUD OWNER OF YAESU'S FT 100 AND ATAS 100 70cm-40mtrs IN 1 ANTENNA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: