The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mosley TA-33 Driven Element as a Vertical  (Read 613 times)
N3MG

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2002, 06:14:50 PM »

I have an old Mosley TA-33 in my garage, and live in an antenna-restricted neighborhood.

Has anyone ever tried using one (i.e. 1/2) of the driven element from a TA-33 or other trapped multiband yagi as a vertical antenna?  How would you go about feeding the antenna?

Normally, the TA-33 driven element "halves" are fed by merely splitting the coax and taking the center conductor to the insulated 1/2 element and the shield to the grounded 1/2 element- which worked quite well.

Since the configuration would be a 1/4 wave vertical, I would definately plan on using ground radials.

What about using both halves of the driven element in a phased vertical configuration?

Input appreciated!
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2002, 07:43:41 PM »

Hi: I'm not going to take down a working TA-33 to see, but I suspect it would work. You would want to build an insulating mount and use an antenna analyzer to see where half a DE will resonate.

I suspect it will be a bit high, closer to 15 than 14 mHz - and the same on 15 and 10. But you should be able to add a little more aluminum here and there to bring the beastie to resonance where you want to operate.

After you get the half element to resonate - you may need a small coil between the element and ground at the base, and tap it to bring the impedance up and the SWR down, a la a mobile antenna.

And if you can get one half to work, you can get the second. With two, you have an array.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2002, 10:03:43 PM »

It works fine, I did it with a junker CushCraft ATB-34.  I kept the element...marked for correct measurements with  a magic marker...in my locker at work.  When I was working those long, lonely (and solitary, I might add) night shifts, I would dig out my radio and antenna and make a few contacts.  I mounted the antenna on a railing and tossed a radial with a large copper plate attached into a pond for a counterpoise.  Despite the fact that I was handicapped by being in a deep mountain valley, I worked plenty of DX with 100W.   Generally, it doesn't even have to be the driven element.  Usually traps on tribanders are the same on all elements, so theoretically you could build six verticals out of a single tribander.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: