Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you know about "I-Link"?  (Read 397 times)
KC8TBY

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2002, 10:21:39 AM »

Recently there has been (at least) two articles written concerning an internet FM repeater service named "I-Link.
These articles appeared in the last months' issues of CQ and QST magazines.
Has anyone tried this means of getting on the air?
I have attempted to download the user software from the link provided in both articles BUT it seems to be a "dead" link, at least recently.
Anyway, any information you have to share about this topic would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks and 73!!
W4JH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2002, 11:43:35 AM »

Try this one:
http://www.aacnet.net/download.html
KD3V

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2002, 05:24:16 PM »

I have used both iLink and the IRLP systems.

'iLink' is just getting a remote connection to a radio. This radio can be someone's 2 meter radio tuned to a local repeater, or a direct input to the repeater, or a 10meter radio etc... consider it a remote base connection.

It is fun to have access to a multitude of radios in all parts of the world without having to go there to operate, but be more careful about operating rules also.

You are operating someone elses station which holds the license for this activity.

There is also the chance to have an internet only based chat with other hams. This feature is useful but it is not using a radio for any part of the communication.

Have fun and do try to get the latest software. Start here:  http://www.aacnet.net/

KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2002, 05:16:36 PM »

Well, talk about a nifty alternative to QRM when contesting hits the air.!? I have contacted many hams around the world in i-LINK. I actually met a ham who knows a ham I visited in 1982 in Belfast and got him on the telephone to hear me. The signal strength is ALWAYS 5-9, there is no static, propagation is always very good and the is no interference once you get on with a station. The other thing I found was three older hams that have lost the ability to ham thru moves or whatever and i-LINK has re-energized them. I als talked to a ham who had a visitor in his computer room (a youngster) and the i-LINK communication got him so enthused, the youngster is now working on his own ham license. It is very easy to download and install and easier still to use. Have fun. See you there.
Frank
KL7IPV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: