Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-530SP tuning instructions, please  (Read 756 times)
KC2YU

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2002, 06:49:15 PM »

Hello,

It's been a few years since I operated my Kenwood TS-530SP and I've forgotten how to tune the transmitter.

I remember dip the plate, but that's about it.

Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Joseph R. Skoler, kc2yu
joseph@compuhelp.com
KD7OYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2002, 09:20:01 PM »

Joseph,
I've got a TS-520S, I think very similar. I'll fax you a copy of the tuning instructions if needed, but here's the quick guide.

1- MODE Switch to USB/LSB,  METER Switch to IP,  STAND-BY Switch to Send, Adjust Bias control for 60 Ma reading on meter.

2- MODE Switch to TUN,  METER Switch to ALC,  STAND-BY Switch to Send, Peak the ALC reading with the DRIVE control.

3- MODE Switch to TUN,  METER Switch to IP,  STAND-BY Switch to Send, Dip plate current with PLATE control.

4- MODE Switch to CW,  METER Switch to RF,  STAND-BY Switch to Send, Peak RF output by alternating adjustment of PLATE and DRIVE controls.

Hope this helps.
Mark
K9ZY (formerly KD7OYI)

KC2YU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2002, 10:32:07 PM »

Thanks very much.

The only confusing part is the "adjust BIAS...to 60ma."

I don't have a bias adjustment.  

Also, where does the LOAD adjustment come in?

Joseph R. Skoler, kc2yu
joseph@compuhelp.com
N8CDN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2002, 10:07:55 AM »

I have a TS-530S. The bias control is located on the back of the radio. I think you use a screw driver to adjust it. On mine, you use the Plate and Loading to adjust for maximum power output..I hope this helps.

Terry N8CDN
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2002, 02:08:20 PM »

I'd sure recommend you buy the manual for this rig.  It will help you a lot right now, and also make the rig more valuable when it comes time for you to sell it.

The LOAD and PLATE controls are used together to resonate the power amplifier tank while coupling maximum power to the load (antenna).  Normally, you need only watch the RF OUTPUT meter while adjusting both of these in sequence (peak PLATE for max output, then adjust LOAD to see if the rig's capable of even more output, and if so, re-peak the PLATE again, etc --it's a reiterative adjustment that, once you're good at it, takes all of five seconds to perform and complete).  After the rig's peaked for maximum RF output power, switch the meter back to Ip (plate current) and see what that is, in the CW mode with the key down.  Should be between 160 mA and 240 mA.  If it is, all's well.

The BIAS adjustment is on the rear apron, as previously stated, and must be adjusted with the rig in the SSB mode but no modulation (quiet room, or mike unplugged).

WB2WIK/6
KC2YU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2002, 11:15:28 PM »

N8CDN, WB2WIK, KD7OYI, K9ZY:

Thanks so much for all your help.

It's now clear how this part of the rig works.

I'm waiting for a better antenna (for the terrace) and hopefully will be operational soon.

73 to all,

Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: