Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IRC's or Greenstamps  (Read 208 times)
KC9AZL

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2002, 12:41:49 PM »

When is it best to use greenstamps or IRC's?  
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 12:52:11 PM »

If you can, during your contact, simply ask the DX station which he prefers, and make a note of that.

In situations where there's no time to ask, such as a contest contact, you must use your own judgment.  One IRC is sufficient for most countries in the world, if you include a self-addressed "airmail envelope," which is a very lightweight envelope that, combined with a QSL card, will weigh 1/2 ounce or less.

WB2WIK/6
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2002, 07:12:58 PM »

If you have a very limited budget, send your cards through the ARRL buro system.  With low power, and a low antenna, it is most likely you will be talking with common DX stations, ones you do not need to spend air mail postage for, or Green Backs/IRCs on.

If you aren't a League member, then only send for DX cards from state side managers.  That way, you spend less than a dollar to get a card.

I have a hunch, the DX you are working now, you will be able to work over and over again, many times.  As a result, you really don't have to worry about getting a card from that country.

Getting a card from your first DX contact certainly is worth the money however.  If you post what country that is, someone will be able to tell you if it is safe to send money; if you need to send either one green stamp or two; if sending an IRC will be best.

Have FUN
Bob

KG6IBW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2002, 10:49:33 PM »

I second what AE7G Bob said.  I would go further and here is my analysis:

For overseas QSL cards, I can send a kit (2 green stamps, envelope, my QSL card, air postage) for about $3.  Maybe a bit more.   For a buro card I pay $.08 for the card and $.06 to the buro, $.14.  So for $3 I can send one kit or 21 QSL cards.

My preference is to send the 21 QSL cards if the country can provide 21 (or even 10) QSOs.   More folks get more fun.  And if none of the 21 card recipients can afford to reply, maybe I will send a kit.   But right now my impulse is to say that I get a country if I get it.   And buying it is not my style.  If I know the country is short on money that might change my stand.  But all my DX is phone, and phone rigs are not cheap.  I doubt there are many poor phone station operators.  CW is a whole different story.

And just to prove that my opinion is worthless, I have 2 (two) QSL cards (but one is from San Felix).
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2002, 05:59:35 PM »

KG6IBW: That was hilarious!  Thanks for a laugh.

I, on the other hand, have literally thousands of DX QSL cards, and I haven't sent any out, other than to reply to ones received, in years.  But the keyword is "years."  

Although I have about 10,000 DX cards, I started accumulating them in 1966.  I tossed out thousands, literally, when I moved a few years back, and now the pile just keeps growing again.  It won't stop.  Envelopes come from the Bureau, and they're always full of cards.  But, most of those cards are for contacts made 1-2-3-4 years ago, not last month.  Actually, last month I received a card from "East Berlin" (which no longer exists) confirming a QSO made in 1980.  Only 22 years ago.

Keep the faith!

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: