Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSE QSL???  (Read 19168 times)
KB7AZ

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2002, 01:05:01 AM »

What does the "PSE QSL" checkbox on QSL cards mean?

Thanks... roger, KB7AZ
KE9IN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2002, 01:25:57 AM »

It means you would like a qsl card from that station which you have worked. Tnx means you do not need a reply qsl from the station. Happy hamming, Ron, ke9in
WA4DOU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2002, 08:42:54 AM »

Questions like this used to be intuitively understood by even the rankest newcomers and it is questions like this that cause so many to point in proof that amateurs have been dumbed down. Its hard to argue with the conclusion.
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2002, 09:15:03 AM »

Comments like this one from WA4DOU are the reason that so many newcomers lose enthusiasm for our hobby, how about arguing about THAT conclusion. Perhaps you intuitively didn't realize that this IS a message board where Elmers are to HELP people with questions, not a place for someone to publicly derate a newcomer for asking a question. There are very few truly dumb questions in this world, and this aint one of them. If you can't answer the guys question or don't have anything pleasant to say, I suggest you do us all a favor and not post anything.

To answer the question, it means "Please QSL" as in "Please send me one of your QSL cards".

K5DVW - very steamed!  
AC0X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2002, 09:18:32 AM »

WA4DOU,

No, questions like this were NOT "intuitively understood". They were asked by newbies in meetings to an elmer, who would tell them, instead of patronizing them. Today's new hams often don't have nearby elmers, or even meetings to go to. All they have is internet forums like this. No one I know is born with the knowledge of CW abreviations, I expect you weren't either.

N3WSH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2002, 09:30:17 AM »

Roy (WA4DOU),
Maybe you were having a bad day. Maybe you were physically uncomfortable, harassed, hot..who knows? The point is, perhaps you've noticed that we all try to help each other in this hobby, and to be kind, as well. Please try to think through anything you might post in the future, asking yourself, "Is this helpful and respectful?" We all need to vent frustration at times, but this is the wrong forum for that. If only there were a "Curmudgeonly Grumblings" forum, eh?
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2002, 10:30:05 AM »

The question is one I have been asked several times, by quite intelligent and often extremely well educated people. But it sure brought on a dumb "answer."

Pete Allen  AC5E
WA4DOU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2002, 11:34:57 AM »

No, I'm not in a bad mood or having a bad day. A QSL card is a "card of verification." It verifies a qso that has taken place. Therefore "pse qsl" means please send me a qsl card and qsl tnx means thanks for having sent me a qsl card. I beg to differ but ,in fact, these were once very obvious and quite intuitively understood matters among novices. CW abreviations are to be found in a number of sources, including many books, The Radio Amateurs Handbook among others. Once upon a time, when most folks were actually interested in amateur radio, they took it upon themselves to invest time into study beyond the actual mechanics of taking a license exam and they wanted to learn. Now, many only want to learn if they can be spoonfed by others and eham.net is a good example of a place where there is a symbotic relationship between the helpless and the helper. Both seem to need the other equally. But don't you think its just a little sad that its now so easy to get a ham license that guys can hold Extra Class licenses and have not progressed beyond "puberty."
N3WSH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2002, 11:40:09 AM »

Roy,
So what you're saying is that all your days are like this? That's sad. My recommendation is that, as you pretty much know it all by now, just avoid bad websites such as this, where hams are spoonfed, and incidentally spare the rest of us your intensely negative thoughts.
AB0TJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2002, 11:48:28 AM »

WA4DOU,
Calm down. Why shouldn't he be able to ask a question, no matter how simple? I'm sure you have asked many a dumb question (even though this was not a dumb question) because everyone has. This forum is to help other hams. He could go and look it up in a book, but maybe it is easier to sit in front of his computer and ask someone who cares, unlike you. And who cares if someone has passed puberty before they get a license? Jealous? Just looking for a reason to make them the scapegoat? What is it? Don't like high voices? Turn the radio off or change the frequency a bit so they sound older on SSB. Whatever you do, just get over it. You don't have to read posts that you think are a dumb question.

73 es cul,
alex/AB0TJ, amateur extra.
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2002, 11:56:40 AM »

WA4DOU,

I've need seen a more moronic argument as your latest one. Must be great to never have to ask anyone questions and be the all knowing demigod of ham radio. All bow down now!

It's unfortunate that ham radio tests don't have a personality section.

K5DVW

KB7AZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2002, 12:21:55 PM »

...thanks to all the gentlemen for your kind help.

Ron - FB TNX OT. R AB BN AA. 591. QRN? I really am SRI about your condition. GB. (LID!)

Roger
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2002, 04:35:46 PM »

People can only take whatever the current exams are; those taking the exams to get their ticket don't have anything to do with the requirements they have to pass.

Deriding a "new" ham, or "new" hams in general because they couldn't take older, non-available, tests doesn't help ham radio, and it certainly doesn't help integrate current hams into our ranks.

I remember when I first embarked upon QSLing, I had a few questions, which might have seen self-evident to those with QSLing experience.  I don't remember anyone blasting me for asking, or asserting this exemplified what happens when hams don't have to demonstrate CW sending proficiency.

Have FUN
Bob
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2002, 04:38:32 PM »

I understand both sides of this.

Of course, it's easy and polite to simply answer a simple question, and the author has his answer.

However, I understand to some degree WA4DOU's response.  Perhaps it's the easy utility of the internet that has made people so incredibly lazy that they no longer have any idea how to do research.  If Yahoo or Google or Ask Jeeves doesn't have an answer within ten seconds, oh well, that's that.

Before the internet, obviously, it wasn't this way.  When I was a new Novice back 37 years ago or so, I didn't know what PSE QSL meant, either.  So, I went to the library, picked up the ARRL Operating Manual, and read it.  After 262 pages of reading, I not only had my answer, but knew a lot more about all kinds of things -- all useful information.

Today, the easy out is to post a question on a reflector, have somebody answer it, and bingo! -- your question is answered.  Does this make you a better operator?  Nope.  It makes you one who has one more answer than he had yesterday -- but not the knowledge or depth of information found by reading handbooks, as "we" did, decades ago.

WB2WIK/6
N3WSH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2002, 04:46:30 PM »

Steve, now you're sounding a little curmudgeonly yourself. Just because we have this great forum, and can quickly and easily get good info from them that's been there, usually including yourself, doesn't mean that the asker wouldn't look further if no answer was forthcoming. And it certainly doesn't give anyone the right, or even a good reason, to be downright mean to a harmless stranger, based on his own prejudices. It would be like trashing people for being lazy and not hunting for fresh meat anymore, like in the good old days, rather than buying packaged meat at the store.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: