Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Telescopic fiberglass masts  (Read 727 times)
W6QW

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2002, 12:44:18 PM »

Hey Terry - just thought of an idea.  How about a tape measure reel.  Not sure if you can find one narrow enough to fit within the telescoping tube.  You may even want to buy a replacement reel (I think they're pretty inexpensive) and try trimming the tape width with metal shears.  

Cheers.
Don - W6QW
WB2FXG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2002, 12:17:35 AM »

Does anyone have experience with telescopic masts like the DK9SQ, MFJ 1910 or any of the poles sold at kite and flag stores?

I am setting up a simple all-band dipole and I have limited options on the flat roof of my condo. These 22'-33' poles should give me the height that I need, but I cannot drill into the roof or setup a web of guy wires so I was hoping to use one of these light weight poles with a wall bracket or a couple of cinder blocks on a modified flag pole stand.

Any suggestions or precautions are appreciated.

- ken
KF4ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2002, 05:32:53 AM »

I bought the MFJ version at Dayton in 2001 and love it.
I built a tripod with pvc pipe a few steel strips and a few aluminum strips. I telescoped the legs and made it to fold for a neat portable support. you could easily make one just from pvc so that you could slide the mast into it and weight or tie it down. My tripod is about 3 ft. tall when opened and has held the mast with a 40m dipole up for 3 weeks -as an experiment- in some very nasty weather with no problems. BTW- an 88ft. dipole fed with ladderline will give 80m-10m with good results. With all the joints and connectors
available at the hardware superstores and a bit of imagination you should have no trouble coming up with something. Let us know what you do!

73 and good luck de Matt, kf4zgz

" The best antenna is the one you build yourself!"  
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2002, 05:19:31 PM »

I just received my new MFJ fiberglass mast last Friday and was quite impressed with its light weight, ease of installation and total height (33 feet).  It is 1 3/4" inches in diameter at the base and as small as a light weight fishing pole at the top.  As you raise each telescoped section, a light twist locks that section into place.  Way too soon to tell if it will survive our Midwest ice, wind and snow, however.

Presently, I have it sitting in the weighted base for a patio unbrella supporting 33 feet of wire vertically over a few radials laid on the ground.  I can put it up and operate, then have it down and gone in seconds.  Great for nosey neighbors.  It's been fully extended during some brisk winds over the weekend.  It sways and leans a bit, then promptly stands up straight again.  If you intend to use it to support anything more than a single wire, plan on adding some guying.

Now the fun part.  I am currently experimenting with an automotive power antenna motor to run a wire up and down inside the 33 foot hollow fiberglass tube (like half of a Fluid Motion's Stepper dipole).  If I can find wire with a "flexibility:stiffness ratio" good enough to push 33 feet of itself vertically up the tube and a compatible reel capable of holding that amount of wire, I might just have myself a 6-40 meter half wave remotely-tuned vertical.  Love this hobby!

73 de Terry, WØFM
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2002, 03:32:33 PM »

Great idea, Don.  I'm pretty sure that I could trim the top of a the tape narrow enough to go into the smallest part of the mast.  (I also was thinking about a thin electrician's fish tape)  

Thanks for the input.

73, Terry WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: