Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TNC or AGWPE ?  (Read 283 times)
BRS183557

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2002, 06:06:37 AM »

What is best for the newcommer agwpe packet engine or a TNC?
Cost isnt really a promlem.
KA0MR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2002, 06:32:05 AM »

In all honesty I have done a ton of digital on VHF and HF and currently operate probably the best APRS sites in central Kansas and while soundcard based programs work well for PSK31,SSTV I think for error correcting type digital i.e the TNC particularly the Kantronics line is by far the way to go.

I haven't found any RTTY soundcard programs that come even close to TNC software programs.

I am test driving as we speak for The Boeing Radio Club a KAM XL with CSS Pacterm 98 software 1.6 and althought the PSK31 tuning is a bit different is quite a gadget. With the KAM XL and Pacterm 98 you can do all packet,RTTY, G-Tor, Amtor, Pactor and now PSK31 with the addition of an external RS-232 PTT device, rigblaster or the like. It does not right now do any other digital such as SSTV but you can add a rig blaster and do them all if you want to but the KAM XL has the hardware to avoid extra cables and all that will be necessary for SSTV and similar modes is someone like CSS to write the software for it. It's all there hardware wise it just needs someone to generate the software.

Personally I believe that outside of packet,RTTY tec PSK31 is going to be the mode of choice over all the others that are cominf and going using the soundcard approach.

So in a nutshell I would tell you to go with a full bore TNC.

Bob KA0MR
KA0MR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2002, 06:33:54 AM »

Addendum to my previous post I ment to say WITHOUT the aid of an external PTT device such as rigblaster or homebrew.

SORRY ABT THAT

Bob KA0MR
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2002, 09:16:50 AM »

With a soundcard interface you can try MixW for 15 days, $50.00 to register,  Works with most digital modes, has a great log program, rig contol (CAT): http://www.mixw.net/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: