Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to find a G5RV  (Read 444 times)
KC0LOE

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2002, 03:55:47 AM »

Hello, I am new to HF just passed my general test.  I have a kenwood 440s/AT hf rig.  I want to put up a g5rv on the peek of my house.  I was wondering where a good place to buy one is?  THanks
W4JH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2002, 07:15:21 AM »

Take a look at www.radioworks.com for some nice antennas and a lot of helpful information. Their G5RV is here: http://www.radioworks.com/PDFCat2002/55.pdf. Their Carolina Windom is also very popular.

Your internal antenna tuner in the Kenwood may not be able to satisfactorily tune the G5RV (or any other multi-band wire antenna) on all the bands you want to use. Most internal antenna tuners have a limited range and are primarily designed to "tweak" an antenna that is already resonant for a particular band.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions and responses on this helpful forum. Good Luck.

Jack
N0VZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2002, 12:50:52 PM »

One of the nicest and more affordable G5RVs I have found is the G5RV from Antennas and More at:

http://www.antennasmore.com/Hf%20Antennas.htm

They are very well made.  
W1EBI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2002, 03:25:13 PM »

You will no doubt get plenty of advice to build your own, "never buy a wire antenna", which is actually good advice.  But I was too eager to get on the air with my new 100W rig after 38yrs away from ham radio, so I bought an Antennas & More G5RV because it was quite low cost but light and well made.  It's been up (30ft at center as a lazy inverted V) for less than a week and I have received S8-9 reports from a dozen stations in Europe on 20m.  I agree with the previous recommendation, plus this one is made with insulated wire, so you can toss it up on your roof while you decide what kind of antenna you REALLY want.  Good luck!

George W1EBI
KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2002, 08:07:13 PM »

Check out AES (Amateur Electronic Supply) or HRO (Ham Radio Outlet).  They both carry the same brands of G5RV, MFJ and Van Gorden.  Both very decent and reasonably priced.
KB0ETC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2002, 10:07:26 PM »

Trust me, I've tried them all and have been disappointed in many.  Since 1995, I have been making my own to high quality specifications.  Check my website for antenna information and sales:

http://www.qsl.net/kf4l/antforsale.htm

73's - Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: