Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 QSL Questions  (Read 404 times)
KC9AZL

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2002, 05:51:21 PM »

How many greenstamps are needed to QSL Molodova?

I re addressed four envelopes going to CIS countries, because the return adress was on the front of the envelope.  Is mail theft a problem in Indonesia?  Should I put the return adress for the Indonesian QSL on the back of the envelope?
K9PO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2002, 09:15:14 PM »

If I use green stamps I usually put in 2. Are you an ARRL memebr and have you considered the outgoing QSL service? It is much cheaper than buying IRCs.

73 Scott
N2ERN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2002, 10:02:27 PM »

CIS should be only 1 GS.
My friend Victor in Russia reports: "...the postal rates didn't change much - 14 roubles (45 cents) for an international air mail letter up to 20 g but now we can also send cards as a printed matter at a rate of 6.5 roubles (22 cents)! The only requirement is no letter or short word inside..."

So a CIS ham can mail the card to you for less than a quarter.

BTW, if you want to send $2, no one will complain! Try to get $2 bills to keep the weight down. And remember, NO CALL SIGNS (yours or his) ON THE ENVELOPE!
KC9AZL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2002, 10:15:51 PM »

Scott I will be using the buro.  But both ER1QQ and YB0AI requested direct.
KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2002, 01:59:42 PM »

Although you didn't request this, I worked out simple system for sending DX QSL cards. (1) Routine cards go through the ARRL buro (estimated expense, about 30 cents a card). (2) DX stations with stateside managers go direct with return envelope and postage (estimated expense, about $1+ a card). (3) Cards deemed more important go through the WF5E buro (estimated expense, about 50 cents a card. (4)Those very rare or special handling go direct (estimated expense, about $2+ a card based upon one green stamp enclosed).  The value assigned are based upon the QSL card costing about 15 cents each and nothing assigned for the value of the envelope. The ARRL buro offers the cheapest route but you will wait a while for a return QSL card.  The WF5E buro offers an outstanding value and a quicker turn around time.      
N2ERN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2002, 04:13:53 PM »

I am curious to learn why you think you should not put your return address on the front of the envelope. I send and receive international mail regularly, and have never found this a problem, nor have I ever been asked to discontinue the practice.

IN FACT, the more you make your envelope look llike ordinary mail, and preferably commercial mail, the more chance it has of getting through unmolested.

For QSL cards, I prefer to put my return address (on a label) over the flap seal as a deterrent to tampering, but for no other reason.
KC9AZL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2002, 07:33:40 PM »

Go to http://www.qsl.net/rz1ak/mail.html to find out about address labels.
N2ERN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2002, 06:49:18 AM »

http://www.qsl.net/rz1ak/mail.html doesn't say anything about putting the return address on the front of the envelope (that I saw, anyway). Nor did I see a discussion about labels.

Believe me, there is NOTHING WRONG with putting your return address in the usual place (upper left-hand corner).

I think that scotch taping the flap will only call attention to the letter. I wouldn't do it.

Like I said, try to make it look like a business letter. I have been corresponding with my Russian friend for 10-plus years and have never lost a letter in either direction.

FWIW, I also wouldn't ask for a CIS card direct. Their bureau is pretty efficient, and you'll eventually get your cards. I have cards from all but two of the old USSR oblasts (Administrative Districts, like counties) to prove it., and the only reason I'm missing 2 is that the Soviet Union broke up before I could work 'em!)
W1EBI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2002, 05:13:19 PM »

I'm an old newbie just returning to ham radio and DX chasing after a 38-year absence.  I've worked 100 stations in 40 countries in my first two weeks back on the air, and am still waiting for my QSL's to come from the printer.  This trail is very interesting to me, as I want to get back into the DXCC and award chase fast to make up for my "lost time."

Doesn't anyone mail the CARD direct any longer?  When outgoing bureaus or SASE's or green stamps (I finally figured that out...) are not required, is it not cheaper to mail the card itself for $.70 rather than slipping it into an envelope for $.80?

Seems like a silly question, but I'm still trying to modernize my habits from the late '50s.

Thanks and 73,
George W1EBI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: