Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New AL811H  (Read 873 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2008, 04:48:59 PM »

Hi Iam considering buy an Ameritron AL-811H I have never own thsi kind of aplifier, I am assuming thta I need and atenna tuner as well tahat support this ampifier, so my qiestiosn are first a good not too expensive type of tuner someone recomend and second how do you tune the ampl whendo you use a tuner for it. the rig I'll be using is and icom 746

KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 06:07:15 PM »

What kind of antenna do you have?  Not all antennas require a tuner.  With a tube type amplifier, you can accomodate an SWR of perhaps 3:1 with no problem.
Allen
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 06:09:49 PM »

I am Going to be using a G5RV
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 07:45:47 PM »

The Palstar AT1KP is a very nice tuner for the power level you looking at. As far as tuning a amp goes the manual will explain this. But i recomend you have an experinced elmer walk you through it any how.
AI4NS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 09:19:41 PM »

Before you invest in an amp, spend money on your antennas. A G5RV is not a very good antenna. You can do far better. With an amp, you will be heard, but won't hear the response. You should only get an amp after you have maximized your antennas. For the $900 for the amp and probably another $600 for a tuner, coax, etc, you can buy a good used tower and a multiband beam and rotor. You will get far more performance from a decent antenna than any amp can provide.

What is your QTH situation? How big is your lot? Do you have trees? Do you live in a CCR area? Ogden is a fairly non-restricted area, so you may be able to do a good job with antennas.

Mike
AI4NS
W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 05:16:21 AM »

I totally agree with AI4NS, save the money for better antennas if there is any possible way you can do it.  A low mounted (35-40 foot) 3 element tribander will seriously outperform your G5RV.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 06:05:19 AM »

Well, you do need a spell checker and a grammer checker.

You only need a tuner if you don't have resonant antennas.
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 06:56:47 AM »

I agree with the others. Of course, we don't know your antenna situation -- CC&R restrictions, tiny yard, no yard, whatever? But if you have a G5RV up, you must have some space. Invest the money in improving your antenna system before spending big bucks on an amp and tuner. You must be able to hear stations before you can work them and I guarantee that no wire antenna (single wire antenna, that is) hears as well as even a very modest beam.

To improve station perforance, think antenna, antenna, antenna. Only after you have the best you can have, should you think about an amp.

73, N4KZ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 08:21:45 AM »

An AL-811H should not need a tuner to operate on 20m at all (with a G5RV), and possibly not on some of the other bands.  It will transfer full power into about a 3:1 SWR quite well, but beyond that a tuner may well be needed.

Tuning instructions come with the amp, in the manual.

If you do need a tuner (and it's a good idea), make sure you get one rated for at least a kilowatt.  Decent "KW" power tuners start at about $300-$350 and go up to about $600 in cost, so it's a big adder to plan for.

WB2WIK/6

K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 05:07:46 AM »

Although the original poster has not commented on the questions asked, there are many reasons why an inexpensive, simple to purchase, and simple to install G5RV is the preferred antenna. I have used G5RVs in the past and they hear well enough to provide a positive amateur experience. Built-in tuners (as on the 746) will make it an all-band antenna in most instances.

There are also a lot of hams that don't call CQ. They call stations they can hear. Then, with only a G5RV, they may still have difficulty contacting those stations. In those situations an amplifier will definitely help. I say, let the man buy an amp. A better antenna can be a project for another day.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 03:02:24 PM »

Just from "MY" station setup.I have an Ameritron 811H & an LDG AT-1000 Auto Tuner.I use these along with a Radios & more G5RV "ONLY" on 40 & 75 meters with MUCH success.You can purchase a manual tuner for MUCH less than an auto tuner from MFJ.I prefer the auto tuner. The amp is VERY simple to tune & operate even for a beginner just by following the instructions in the manual which is provided with the amp.I also have a Mosley TA-53M 5 band yagi which does NOT require a tuner(1.5.1 swr)but I do run the tuner with it sometimes just for a PERFECT match on ALL BANDS for the amp & radio(ICOM 756 PROII).If you have the space a BETTER antenna is a SMART choice since the weakest link is the feedline & antenna in any station setup.I use the G5RV because I do LITTLE 40 or 75 meter activity but it meets my needs for that little bit of usage with GREAT signal reports.I NEVER worked or heard any stations in Europe for years on 75 meters with a 75 meter Double Bazooka but I worked SEVERAL stations in Europe with the G5RV at the same height & location as the double bazooka was just days after removing the double bazooka.GO FIGURE?Huh

Clayton
W4KVW  
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 08:32:56 PM »

Don't let people tell you the G5RV is a "bad antenna". It is essentially the same as a dipole on 80, 40, 20, and 12 meters. It will work just fine on those bands if you have it at a reasonable height.

You will never be able to tell the difference between it and a full ladder line fed dipole on those bands.

You can read about the G5RV efficiency at the VK1OD website (search G5RV VK1OD) or at my website
http://www.w8ji.com/g5rv_facts.htm

Now if you want to work 17, 15, or 10 meters I'd recommend you use some other antenna.

Also a Yagi would a lot better antenna on 20-10, but that would cost a few thousand dollars and it would not help you at all on 80 or 40.

Just get any 2kW tuner and you will be fine. I'd get a 2kW tuner because it has some safety factor.

73 Tom
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 07:59:13 AM »

Thanks to all the comments related to the question, I dont know why sometimes when a ham aaks a question here some people just jump a critized or tell a bunch of BS that is not related. any further comments on the issue will be welcome
W5ROY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 03:17:33 PM »

Personally I run a palstar tuner for my 40 meter wire, and 10-15-20 are on my ta33 mosley triband beam. I have an amp here, and very seldom use it. If I need to bust a pileup, I will turn it on. Most of the time I do not need it. 100 watts does just fine into my antennas at 55, and 65 feet. Do spend good money on antennas first, and you will see a much better return on your investment. Have fun on HF, thats the real game.  73  de W5ROY  Roy
HAMMERTIME

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 06:05:34 PM »

KB9CRY Said"Well, you do need a spell checker and a grammer checker.

You only need a tuner if you don't have resonant antennas. "

Open your mouth and insert foot Phil! I think you could use a spell checker as well. What a moron!!!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: