Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Source of Ready-Made RG-XXX Cable?  (Read 291 times)
N5KNG

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2002, 03:00:11 PM »

Is there a recommendation for a source of ready-made RG-8 or RG-8X cable (say 50 feet long) with PL-259 connectors on each end?  I am interested in cheap, cheap, and well, cheap!

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2002, 03:18:53 PM »

I've never bought a preassembled transmission line assembly (including installed connectors) in my life, but I've inspected the ones from Cable X-Perts (http://www.cablexperts.com) and they're not bad.  They use high-quality American-made connectors with PTFE dielectric and silver-plated bodies, and appear to solder them well.

I'd stay far away from the Radio Shack assemblies.

I always make my own assemblies, but use connectors similar to the ones Cable X-Perts uses.  

WB2WIK/6
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2002, 04:18:20 PM »

While I have been accused of squeezing a nickel until the buffalo, nemine! That's a base calumny, I'm thrifty, not cheap. Buying cheap coax is pretty much throwing your money away, something I try not to do.  

Both CableXperts and Radio Works have good cable, good connectors, and decent prices. Not cheap, but worth it.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
N5KNG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2002, 05:35:34 PM »

Thanks, guys.  Cablexperts looks to be just what the doctor ordered!  Thanks a lot!

(Oh yes, WB2WIK, I sure appreciated your help in selecting an HF rig.  I finally went for the Icom 756 (original).  Great price for a great radio.  I did try for an 850S/AT, but they aren't as easy to find.  I hope to be on the air soon - and with you guys help, I will!)
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2002, 03:03:47 AM »

I can't recommend Cable X-perts. They do an electrical
test on their connectors but not a physical test.
The connectors often break loose from the soldered
conductors. And if your up a tower and it happens
you will be quite upset with them. And if you send
it back to them they will claim you abused it.
73 - Tim
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2002, 06:04:44 AM »

After 30 years of assembling coax cables for antennas and jumpers in the shack, I have some strong preferences.

1.  If standard Belden brand name coax (RG-8/U; RG-213/U ; RG-8X) is correct for my application, I buy it.  Consistent quality and I have never been surprised.  Some specific exceptions (e.g. The Wireman's Certified Quality #117, Heliax, Times LMR, and a couple of others)

From the 1970's CB junk to no name suppliers of the 21st century ... junk continues to sell (e.g. breaks in shield, inconsitent shielding, poor jacket formulations, incorrect center condutor diameter)

2. Good connectors, real teflon - and not white plastic (match test solves this) or quality Amphenol phenolic.

3.  When on occasion I need a quick shipment in the field, I have had "Press" (@ Wireman) install the connectors for a modest fee.  Quick field shipments, while rare, save project delays.

http://www.thewireman.com/index.shtml

w9gb
Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: