The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hy Gain AV 640 Vertical Antenna  (Read 882 times)
K3MOV

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2002, 04:24:42 PM »

Has anyone tried the AV 640 on 75/80? I get a 1:1 swr at 3673, but have never loaded it up completely. With a tuner, I get a 1:1 over the entire band. I have no idea if I'm emitting a signal or just heating the clouds.
K8KAS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2002, 09:44:26 AM »

I get 1:1 SWR feeding my trash can with a tuner. Why don't you try calling a station and see if anyone can hear you, pretty simple to decide if the antenna is working. When I started out in the hobby I called the loudest stations I heard and asked them what they were using for an antenna,etc. I found out fast what worked and what it took put out a good signal. Really simple common sense stuff.
K9COX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2002, 09:45:45 AM »

I have the AV640 and have never used it on 80M. The match you see is probably just a fluke with the matching transformer used at the base of the antenna. There is no comparison on received signals on 80M between the AV640 and a full size dipole that I have. Do not let the low SWR fool you. The antenna works great on 40M thru 6M however.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2002, 11:52:45 AM »

I used to operate my Cushcraft R-7000 (not configured for 80 meters) on 80 meters and even 160 meters by forcing a match with a tuner.  It only put out maybe 15 watts of forward power on those bands, and few stations could hear me.  I did make a few contacts with some of the super stations like W8JI on 160, and EA8BH on 80 meters who seem to be able to hear anything.  I wouldn't expect much with the AV-640, but give it a try especially during the latter parts of major contests when the big stations are begging for contacts.  If you do make some contacts this way, just be humble enough to realize that it is the antennas and super operating ability on the other end that allows you to do so. But it might give you the incentive to improve your low-band antenna situation.  Happy operating & 73.
Chuck  NI0C
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2002, 08:24:33 PM »

The AV-640 wasn't designed to operate on 75/80 Meters, so what you may be experiencing is some sort of interaction between the coax feedline acting as part of the "radiating element."  And the radiation efficiency/pattern is impossible to predict without knowing the coax feedline length, ground method, etc.  Unfortunately, you may not be (probably aren't) emitting an efficient signal.  Been there, done that.  :-(

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: