The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Selection  (Read 612 times)
W1SCB

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2002, 04:14:19 PM »

I am looking for feedback on my next purchase, I'm considering a Kenwood TS-2000, A Yaesu FT847, and an Icom 746 pro.  Only the kenwood has the built in AT, but the Yaesu is older and substantially cheaper.  This will be my only Rig besides my HT and may occaisionally be taken mobile.  I'm leaning towards the Kenwood but would appreaciate feedback and ideas including alternatives.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2002, 04:37:31 PM »

The IC746PRO also has an internal automatic antenna tuner.

Of the three rigs you listed, I'd pick the TS2000 because of its overall versatility: Covers more bands* than the 746PRO or the FT847, is more modern than the 847, does have an internal ATU, and is more of a "hamshack in one box" than the other two are.

Of course, you might want to weigh "price vs. performance" ratio and see what you think is the best for you, and also shop around to see which rig you can get the best deal on.

WB2WIK/6
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2002, 04:50:25 PM »

TS-2000!  I have one and I love it!

Dennis - KG4RUL
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2002, 04:54:16 PM »

Well, I own, unfortunately, two of the rigs you ask about. I'm not a knocker so I won't detail their shortcomings.

But I will say that the rig I use does not have as many bands - it does not do VHF, or UHF, but for my casual hamming I generally sit down in front of a  TenTec Jupiter. With the latest software downloads this cross between a computer and a ham rig makes one excellent radio.

If I decide to get serious, I can move one chair to the left, in front of the "big boy," TenTec's Omni 6.  And when it is released, I suspect TenTec's Orion will take the place of at least my No 1 Omni VI.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
K0RGR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2002, 04:56:21 PM »

Well, I'm an ICOM bigot - that's my prefered brand for some reason, but I have a smattering of other gear. I have heard great things about the 2000, though I have never used one. I own the original IC-746 and I am very happy with it. Seems to be very solid and reliable rig.  If you are interested in satellites on VHF, the 2000 would be the better rig, I believe.
JAMES_BENEDICT_EX_N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2002, 09:42:10 PM »

In the dollar vs function/performance, the IC-746 is the winner. The TS-2000 is 'more radio' in when cost is not an issue.
JAMES_BENEDICT_EX_N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2002, 09:40:50 AM »

Above statement, I forgot to add the cost of the TS-2000 with 1.2gHz module installed.
W1SCB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2002, 11:24:50 PM »

Thankyou all for your feedback, I am strongly leaning towards the ts-2000, though now I'm considering the 'black-box version.  Has anyone had hands on with it compared to the standard version?  I can't really imagine not having controls, but guess the mobile face would suffice if my pc wasn't available.  Any comments?
Thanks
Sean
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: