Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 meter FM  (Read 606 times)
W6FK

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2002, 04:28:27 AM »

Is there a lot of activity on 10 meter FM...how much repeter activity on 10
KV4BL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2002, 05:49:16 AM »

Depends on where you are and the band conditins for any givn day or time that you are listening.  I enjoy occasional operating on 10m FM but there are some drawbacks.  There are ONLY four repeater pairs plus one Simplex / Calling channel allocated to this band and mode.  IMHO, this is a terrible oversight by the FCC, ARRL, or someone.  I would think that at a minimum, we could make room for two more simplex channels here but from my understanding, most of the close spetrum is set aside for satellite operation or some other techno-mezzo activity.  So, if you want to  do 10m FM, your frequency choices are narrow.  It is a neat mode and with the old Kenwood TS-440S that I use, I have hit many repeaters with carrier squelch and made several contacts around the country on simplex.  The combination of FM combined with the occasional fading of the ten meter band makes for a unique and fun experience.  Some repeaters require CTCSS to access so if you want to hit all of them, you may want a rig with that feature and a recent copy of the ARRL Repeater Directory.  Alinco has (had?) a neat little mobile out that you could get for a song not too long ago.  It had 100 memories, CTCSS encode with decode option. and an RF output of 10 or 20 watts, as I recall.  I believe it was a DR-M03TH or something like that.  It was very similar to their 6 meter offering the DR-M06TH.      Ten meter FM is definitely different.  GIve it a try and I think that you'll enjoy it, despite that lack of operating spectrum currently available for it.        73,            Ray  KV4BL
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2002, 10:59:41 AM »

There's quite a lot, but as the other post indicated, the four channels allocated for 10m repeaters causes a great deal of QRM when the band's open.  Any time the band's in good condition, if I key up on any of the four repeater channel (29.62, .64, .66, or .68) inputs, I key up multiple -- sometimes dozens of -- repeaters, and they can be almost anywhere in the world.  It's common for me to key up a repeater in Australia when trying to work the one in Boston.

This, obviously, is a problem!

WB2WIK/6
WA5EE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2002, 11:51:13 AM »

Seems like it'd make a lot of sense for coordinating authorities to encourage digital PL on 10 .There'd still be interference , but you might only key one machine at a time .

Russ , W5RB
K5GUS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2002, 12:26:05 PM »

What is the offset for these frequencies?  All at minus 100 Khz?

Thx
K5GUS
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2002, 12:37:46 PM »

Yes, the standard is -100 kHz offset, and at least all the American machines seem to be sticking to it.

The problem with 10m is that when the band's open, any kind of PL or encoding system will only help a little bit, since if multiple machines are "in use," it's a mess -- regardless of who's keying them up.

And, of course, most of the 10m repeaters seem to be cross-band machines with inputs on 440 MHz or wherever, so there's tons of activity from even Tech licensees who normally would have no HF privileges, but are on 10m by virtue of the cross-band repeater; thus, taking an already bad QRM situation and making it worse.

As such, I avoid it altogether, now.  It has ceased to be fun.  But 10m "AM" is a blast!  If you can work it on FM, you can probably work it on AM, and using VFO-control (non-channelized) AM equipment, there's a lot more places to operate.  I find considerable AM activity beginning about 29.00 and going up from there, any time the band's open well.

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: