The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "But I really don't want a new radio!"  (Read 2929 times)
JAMES_BENEDICT_EX_N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2002, 07:21:20 PM »

The TS-520 provides the communications you require, period! The reliability has also been impressive. The radio is also large enough for your hands. Based upon this, the only upgrade possible is a better receiver and/or no tune solid-state. You may not be impressed with the two upgrades as, again the TS-520 works for you. Two higher-end radios that are simular are the following: Kenwood TS-830. This dual conversion receiver is better in every catagory except the noise blanker. It should equal the about perfect TS-520 noise blanker. As for no tune solid-state, the ICOM IC-765 is huge and one of the best performing rigs ever. The SSB audio is somewhat tighter sounding over the TS-520, thus the 2.8kHz SSB filter should replace the stock FL44A 2.3kHz filter. The older FL-44A will sell fast paying for the 2.8kHz filter. If the above does not interest you, stay with the TS-520 as your only HF radio. Everyday you own the TS-520, the radio is saving you money.
JAMES_BENEDICT_EX_N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2002, 10:44:35 PM »

I may add, You are of the club- 'If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It! Works for many hams.
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2002, 07:54:17 AM »

That is really funny!  I do understand what you are talking about, as I cut my HF teeth on a Kenwood 520, a fantastic radio for a new Ham.  I graduated to a 530SP and loved it.  Next was an 830S, a fabulous radio, and one maybe I wish I still had, if I were going to go with a tube rig.  Myself, I would recommend you talk to your Dad, who is on the right path with Ten Tec, what I mainly operate now.  I do have a Yaesu FT-1000MP that I love, but my heart is truly with Ten Tec.  You cannot go wrong with a Corsair II.  It has WARC, it is, just like any of the Ten Tec rigs, simple as heck to use, and if you do a lot of CW, I predict you will fall in love immediately, just like I did.  There is plenty of room between the knobs, the layout is straightforward, and they are just about idiot-proof, which is very helpful for people like me.  Good luck!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: