Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-897D and FL-7000, "protect" problem  (Read 628 times)
N5MZL

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2005, 03:54:57 PM »

I've had this FL-7000 for several months, and initially had it connected to my old FT-890, and had no problems with it.  Only thing out of the ordinary is that I use an external Palstar antenna tuner because I'm running into a Carolina Windom, which neither the tuner in the '890, nor the '7000 could handle.  Now I have a brand new FT-897D, and I was even able to use the existing CT-11 cable to connect the '7000 to the new rig via the latter's "CAT/Linear" port.  I did have to modify the ALC cable, since the 897D has an extra contact in it's "ACC" port (where the ALC input goes) for keying the transmitter for tuneup purposes, which the '7000 is not designed to accomodate.  So here's the problem; got everything connected and the amp seems to work fine...for a while.  Then this "protect" feature kicks in and shuts the amp down.  I never had this problem with the '890.  I've got the antenna tuner set correctly, so high SWR isn't an issue, and I've also turned the transmitter power down from 100 to 70 watts, since the '7000 manual says that is all the drive the amp needs.  The only thing I can find that does not seem to click is that the ALC voltage on the '7000 is from 0 to -9vdc, whereas the control voltage range on the 897D is 0 to -4vdc. Or could something else be going on here? Thanks and 73.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 05:44:39 AM »

I'd start by rechecking your ALC wiring. You didn't say how long the amp worked before it kicks out. The FL7000 has over temp protection and it doesn't take much overdrive to activate it.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N5MZL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 03:57:56 PM »

Yep. I checked the ALC cable.  Pretty hard to screw that up, even for me.  And I have the SWR flat (big hulking external tuners are great), the mic gain cranked back, the maximum wattage from the rig set at 70 watts...and the damn thing still does this shutdown thing, and those fans kick in at the drop of a hat.

I think I'm going to have to have that protect circuit mod done on the radio (I'd do it myself, but I know my limitations).  Apparently Yaesu made the thing way too sensitive.  However, if you all have any other suggestions, or possibilities I might have overlooked, would love to hear them.

Thanks and 73
W6SZG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 10:55:45 PM »

I have a FT990 and FL7000.  I am sorry to say I fried the tuned input of the FL7000 on 40 meters with less than 60 watts of output from the FT990.  I did have a couple of protect shutdowns before the white smoke came out of the right front side of the FL7000.  Amp still works on all other bands.  I am betting you are inadvertently overdriving the 990.  There have also been posts about non-Yaesu drivers having "spikes" that relentlessly trigger the protective circuit.  This is mentioned in some user reviews here on Eham.
The Yaesu to Yaesu ALC of my set-up did not save me.  Separately, I opened the 990  but could not see the "fried" componet to attempt repair.  I sure don't want to send that heavy thing back for service.  If anybody has a tip on repair or what might have failed I would appreciate hearing about it.
SCUBA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 11:02:15 AM »

Hi K0BG, N5MZL, and W6SZG,

I'll sure appreciate your expertise.

I just got done installing the Harbach Soft Key and the Harbach Soft start into SB200 and the linear didn't blow up in my face. Yea!

Before connecting to the RCA female connector on the back of the SB200, I need to know what I'm doing vis a vis the ALC port on back of the FT897d.  I was told that it can be used to key he SB200.  On the male 3.5mm plug, do I wire to the tip or the center (besides other wire to gnd)?

Thanks very very much!
Jack

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: