Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hitachi TV  (Read 312 times)
JEFFY

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2002, 12:31:28 PM »

We have a hitachi 50DX01B projection big screen TV which was damaged by lightening. It was only one year and a half old. The replace of damaged parts and labor will cost 500 bucks. However, we wonder if it is possible other parts, though not damaged, may be weekened by the lightning so that the repaired TV won't last long.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2002, 03:04:40 PM »

Most likely your repair parts are in the form of complete board assemblies, so I wouldn't worry too much about the next-part-over knocking on death's door.

While it's true a power surge can shorten the service life of some parts, it's also true the survivors in your TV have passed Thor's stress test. Some chips are good for 50 years or better. Cut the life in half and that's not going to be the part that ultimately puts the set in the dumpster. I suspect the real question is whether you should spend the money for repair or put it into a replacement.

Right?

Yeah... You're about to play a $500 game of craps.

Never change a password on a Friday                
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 05:12:29 PM »

I'd probably file an insurance claim and try to collect on it, and buy a new 50" TV.

You didn't say where you are, but here in L.A., 50" projection TVs are now going for $995 brand new at Fry's Electronics, Best Buy and many other discount retailers.

If I had the choice between a $500 repair and a $995 new product, I'd go for the new product.  Of course, HDTV sets are more expensive, but I'm guessing your Hitachi wasn't one of those, since you said it's 1-1/2 years old.

N2ERN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 05:57:24 PM »

Also, check the original warranty time and the credit card you bought it with. Many cards will add at least an extra year to the manufacturer's warranty.

You should always staple the receipt to the inside of the manual with the warranty printed in it and keep it all together. This has saved my a 27" RCA TV and my Bearcat Trunk Tracker. American Express has been VERY good about this!

N2ERN
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2002, 06:42:57 PM »

If it were mine, I MIGHT fix it if it was an HDTV. Otherwise, I'd junk it!

Alan, KØBG

WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2002, 06:43:22 PM »

I doubt any manufacturer's warrantee is going to cover lightning damage...  (That's not really "material or workmanship failure.)
    Your best bet is to check with your homeowners insurance agant to see what coverage is provided.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2002, 04:37:35 PM »

I agree on the home owner's insurance approach if you don't want to "trade up" to new equipment.  A lightning strike took out two TV's a VCR, stereo receiver, cordless phone and answering machine at my lake home a few years back.  My home owner's insurance replaced everything, short the deductible of course, and I got no hassle at all from the insurance company.  The real bonus was when I asked them were they wanted me to send the scorched remains, they said "keep it, we don't want it".  Hello newly stocked junkbox!!

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: