Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non tuned input amp/ Solid state-rigs  (Read 439 times)
K3JVB

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2008, 06:40:43 AM »

Hello all

I am looking to buy a Ft-1000-d, and want to drive my Swan mk-2 with it.

I remember some doing this with just the Ft-1000's antenna tuner being used to match the amp/antenna swr.
Or would I be better off using an inductance type tuner in-between the rig and amp?
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 11:03:04 AM »

I have never owned or used a Swan amp.  As I remember the input impedance of two 3-500 tubes is rather close to 50 ohms.  The matching range of the typical tube final Pi-Net of days gone by was at least a 2:1 SWR.  Assuming the built in tuner of your Yaesu can match a SWR of at least 3:1 (the built in tuner in my Kenwood TS 930S will do much better than that) you should be OK using it to match the impedance of your amp.

Dick  AD4U
K3JVB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 02:37:23 PM »

Hi Dick
Thanks for the input. I was looking for an up grade to my Ft-767-gx. But wanted something That would play "well" with my FL-7000, (auto band switching)
But some have warned me the ft-1000, and the mp-mk
(200 watts versions) will have an rf spike. Even with the drive below 50 watts. This is turn, I am told will play havoc with the FL-7000.

So...If I want the 1000-d , I need to go another direction for an amp. I have a Swan station, and the mk-2 would be a candidate, as long as I can make the 1000-d work, with out the exiceter's power rolling back.

The other issue is keying it. But that should be a snap to figure out, along with another relay.
Anybody have any other pro's or con's
Thanks

I always wanted a nice Ft-1000-D with all the filters/ Well it looks like I may do it !
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 07:32:12 AM »

I have no problem with my FT1000MP and the my Swan MK II. You will be fine as long as you have a good match to the antenna, if not you'll want a tuner between the amp and antenna.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 01:05:18 PM »

All i know is my Icom 746 will not tune into my Swan MK II. I think the internal tuner is not working on 80 meters for some oddball reason. Oh well, i use my trusty ol' Kenwood 830s with the amp and the rig loves it.
KB1QYO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 06:29:03 PM »

I thought the input impedance changed with the rf cycle? Or am I not understanding it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: