Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Develope your own FT920 control software  (Read 280 times)
AF4BH

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2002, 11:04:28 AM »

I have came up with a cool idea to expand and experiment my software development skill.  

My next project is to control my FT-920 via the web.  I have developed a COM object (ActiveX DLL) that enables me to send data from the web to the serial port.  However, I am having trouble to make my FT-920 to talk to the RS232 port.  

I cannot go into too much details of my concepts now, but would like to hear from those of you who have attempted to interface your FT-920 with VB or VC++.  

According to the system protocol from the FT-920 manual, the com port setting should be 4800bps,8,n,2.  That's what I did but not working.

Please tell me your CAT experience.

Many thanks.

73's

de David, AF4BH
AD5IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2002, 06:13:51 PM »

I've been wanting write a Windows control program in VB but don't want to spend big bucks just to dabble.

Is there a 'freeware' version of VB? What happened?Back in the DOS days BASIC came with the OS.  sigh...
AF4BH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2002, 12:01:48 PM »

My reply is quite a bit off the topic, but I think it will help you with what you what.  

Strickly speaking, the "FREE" BASIC that came with DOS didn't die.  It is being called VBScript nowadays on Windows 95 and beyond including Windows 2000 and XP.  You must have "Windows Script Host" (WSH) installed on your machine to take full advantage of it.  Just think of the WSH is the BASIC interpreter you used to work with.

The new "WSH" is very powerful.  Not only it takes the BASIC language (VBScript) you have already known, you can also explore new technologies such as JavaScript(JScript).  It has gained so much ground that many software companies provide ActiveX scripting engines for languages such as PerlScript, PScript, Python, and others.  

You can do a lot of your windows automation via the WSH.  The part that interact with your Windows desktop is called "WScript.exe".  If you still prefer, you can use "CScript.exe" for your command line applications that you develope.  

For example, say if you have a VB (or BASIC) program called TalkUp.vbs under the "LowMicGain" directory, then you would call your script from the command line like this:

cscript c:\LowMicGain\TalkUp.vbs

The WSH platform allows new technologies to be integrated.  The COM object that I mentioned in my previous post says it all.  Think of the COM object is an Excel spreedsheet, a Word document, a Parallel Port, or a Serial (com port), a piece of software or hardware.  Anything to do with some build in functions.  Your VBScript or JavaScript can interact with them as part of the application you have written.  

Pretty cool...  

Back to my original question:

Any CAT DEVELOPER out there hearing me?

Thanks.

de David, AF4BH
af4bh@zoomtown.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: