Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SO-239 to replace RCA on an SB-200  (Read 334 times)
K9SMC

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2002, 09:32:50 PM »

I have an SB200 that has the original RCA jack for rf input, and want to change it to an SO-239.  What is the easiest way to make the hole bigger with limited tools?  I have a cordless 3/8 drill and a dremel tool, but limited bits and hole cutting tools.  Any and all suggestions will be helpful.

Steve K9SMC
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2002, 10:00:36 PM »

The Dremel tool can do the job, although you may want to practice on some scrap metal if you haven't used it in a while. They do tend to walk...

If there's enough clearance behind the hole, a 1/2" hand ream is probably the easiest way to go. Just make sure there are absolutely no metal chips left inside the chassis.

- AC5UP

Never change a password on a Friday                
AB5Q

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2002, 10:21:37 PM »

Have you considered using a BNC instead of SO-239?
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2002, 10:53:57 PM »

I have been able to use an RCA-plug on RG8X.  I got the RCA from Radio Shack and was able to take an awl and enlarge the hole in the plastic shell of the connector large enough for the RG8X to pass thru.  Worked like a charm!!

Steve, KE4MOB
N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2002, 11:19:25 PM »

If you use RG-58 the coax will pass right through the hole in the Radio Shack RCA connectors. That way you will not need to do anything to the Amplifer.
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2002, 10:57:54 PM »

It has often been said that the reason the RCA input was used on that and many other amplifies was to avoid the possibility of accidentally switching cables, plugging the input cable into the output, in other words, and keying the amp, which would not be exactly the thing to do with modern solid state transceivers!  

Well, that's a bit like having to put a third brake light up above the rear window on cars, so idiots who can't see two very bright brake lights in front of them can look around and find another one.  Maybe.

Still, the amp manufacturers had this "suggested" to them, probably by the Underwriter's Labs or some such, as a safety feature.

Visit Radio Shack and pick up an SO239 to male phono plug (RCA) adapter, and use it.  No modifications necessary, and it works very well at HF frequencies. And unless you are a long ways from a Radio Shack, it is both faster and neater than drilling out holes.

And that particular adapter can also be used to mate to a female Motorola jack!  Double duty.  

Ed

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: