Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New ham band ?  (Read 210 times)
W8JJI

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2002, 10:21:38 AM »

I heard talk about a new hf ham band around 5 megs. Can anyone tell me the current status of this ? thanks.
KA9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 11:16:50 AM »

The ARRL web site has more info, but basically 5 Mhz has characteristics that would suggest it would be a good HF band for domestic, emergency HF communication. The ARRL had special permission from the FCC to conducts some tests on this band.  They have since submitted a petition to the FCC to request an amateur allocation in the 5 Mhz area.  There is some opposition to this allocation, but the ARRL is upbeat that we will eventually receive an allocation around 5 Mhz.  
G4FSU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 11:25:13 AM »

The UK has 5 spot frequencies that have been allocated for amateur use since August (5260, 5280, 5290, 5400 and 5405kHz). Operation is by Notice of Variation to the license and is on an experimental basis for 4 years. It's an excellent set of frequencies for consistent local (<500kms) communication. There has also been operation from Canada on 5.4MHz & G/VE contacts were made on the first day.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2002, 11:47:16 AM »

The bottom line appears to be, "hang in there," it will probably happen, but nobody knows when.  This does not appear to be on the WARC-2003 agenda for some reason, but petitions to the governing comms bodies in the U.S. and Europe are already in place; there is some disagreement between the U.S. and Europe as to exactly which frequencies should be used in the pending "60 meter" band.

WB2WIK/6
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2002, 04:13:37 PM »

It is my impression the proposed 5 MHZ amateur band, in the US, is a domestic band.  It does not necessarily coordinate with any other 5 MHZ operation, except that I beieve it does include the Alaska 5 MHZ emergency frequency available to hams in that state.

The UK 5 MHZ allocation apparently has nothing to do with the US 5 MHZ plan.  The UK version is their own concoction, and may or may not result in a domestic(theirs) HF amateur band.

I don't believe this band has to be coordinated with WARC, but may have to be coordinated with ITU, to avoid interference to military, and to international aircraft flights, which operate in the 5 MHZ region.

This band is to be assigned, if it happens, by the FCC, not by international organizations, and the FCC has jurisdiction only over the US and its possessions.  As noted, there is some resistance to the allocation, as it will require certain military operations to relocate.  There is also discussion that, if this band becomes a US reality, it will be shared with military operations (as is 10 MHZ) and amateurs will be secondary in priority.

At this moment, it is a US-only band, for US amateurs.  No such band is currently planned for, for example, Canada or Mexico, to my knowledge, and so far the only DX which might could be available, would the the UK.

My guess is this issue will not be settled until after the World Radio Conference of 2003, but not because they have anything to do with this band.  Instead, I believe that, with the almost certain removal of Morse code as a testing element, the FCC will hold off on allocating this 5 MHZ until it establishes the new look of amateur radio.  This will probably take place sometime in mid or late 2004, at the earliest.  

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: