Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable Power Packs  (Read 263 times)
N0JS

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2002, 05:55:00 PM »

I have started looking at 12 volt rechargeable portable power packs.  Many of these are advertised as emergency automobile jump starters.  Some even have inverters to switch 12 volts to 110 volts.  I am wondering how well these work for amateur back up power and what features I should look for on these units.  Also, where are some places with good prices to purchase these from?
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2002, 08:19:03 PM »

Hi James: I have had excellent results with the 12V power packs from Wal-Mart. I bought two when they were on sale for, I think, 19.95, and they will power my HT a lot longer than I care to operate. That's handy down here in the hurricane belt, when we don't know when we may have to provide emergency comms.

Other auto departments, Targets, Pep Boys, etc., also have them but I have no experience with theirs.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
KF4ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2002, 06:58:20 AM »

Harbor Freight often puts these jump start packs on sale. I highly suggest them. Easy to use , maintain , and a built in charger.
I use mine portable and in emergency situations and on ARES activations/pub. service events.
 I have yet to run one down with consciencious use...power as low as possible.
And I can jumpstart the cars when needed..multi-purpose!
73 all de Matt, kf4zgz
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2002, 09:22:36 AM »

The unit from Wal-Mart with the built-in 12 to 120 isn't very good for ham use. It is essentially a squarewave, and not well filtered. As a 12 V back up, it's great. Like Pete, I have two. I keep one in the car in case I leave the radio on too long.

Alan, KØBG

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: