Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 meter antenna question  (Read 518 times)
KG4PFO

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2002, 10:47:19 PM »

Ruling out a yagi.....what would be the second and third choice for a good 6 meter SSB antenna ??
KG4VGH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2002, 11:00:27 PM »

give the Isotron a look

not to expensive either

http://www.rayfield.net/isotron/index.htm
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2002, 07:31:37 AM »

I have a 6M Isotron.  Closely following the installation and tuning instructions, I have yet to be able to get it to perform better than a random length of coax.

Dennis - KG4RUL
K9PO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2002, 07:44:33 AM »

You will want a loop antenna, look at http://www.kb6kq.com/ for some really fine loops. I have a 6/2/ and .7 m loops and will be buying a couple more to stack them and get the extra gain for my roving station.

The 6m loop is about 2ft. in diameter.

Scott
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2002, 08:20:12 AM »

HI: My FIRST choice for a directive 6 meter antenna is a simple reflector/driven element quad. They are compact, easy to build, and fed through a quarter wave section of RG11 work quite well.

Better yet, put the feedpoint in the center bottom and they work very well on nearby repeaters as well as giving very good DX performance.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
W7XLR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2002, 10:19:40 AM »

You did not say if you want directional or omni. I use a PAR omni sold by AES it's the cheapest about $65.00 and works well. I have talked all over with it and 20W. I also frequently talk to others who also use one. Can't say about a directional that's not a yagi, unless you use a bi-directional dipole?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2002, 11:02:22 AM »

A Yagi without a rotor isn't very useful, and I speak from experience on this, plus the rotor increases the cost and complexity of the setup by several orders of magnitude over an omni-directional solution. The next time I re-work the antenna garden on my chimney I have a hunch the 6 Meter Yagi is coming down in favor of an Extended Double Zepp.

Depending on your mounting options, you can homebrew one for about $5.00 plus the cost of the coax. I'm a big fan of EDZ's and have made plenty of Q's with them. Plenty of bandwidth, easy tune, zero SWR and not fussy at all about mounting height or nearby antennas. But, you're looking at a bi-directional pattern (perpendicular to the plane of the wire) which may be a consideration at your QTH.

For local SSB work a horizontal polarization is your first choice, but for DX it's not critical as the polarization will rotate. With this in mind, the Cushcraft AR-6 Ringo is a mighty fine GP vertical for casual DX work on Six. Mount it on 25' or better of TV mast and it will put out a good signal and survive plenty of storms. You could do a lot worse than a Ringo if you prefer a factory antenna...

- AC5UP

Never change a password on a Friday                
KG4PFO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2002, 11:03:28 AM »

I prefer omni, already using two rotors for other antenna's, space is limited and Im without a tower.
I have a dipole up now....only 20' and I think it stinks !!!
Will a loop perform any better at 20'?
Would another 10'make a noticeable differance?
I understand the dipole is not omni,I can live with that......Am I just as well off too raise the dipole 10'or go for a good loop?

KG4PFO
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2002, 12:28:58 PM »

Since we're talking Six Meters, if you want to try a full-wave loop you should also consider a bi-square...

Either should be mechanically possible on PVC pipe in a diamond configuration, and both can be made from three half waves of wire arranged with two half waves in the radiating section and the remaining wire in a ladder-line style tuned feeder... Measure a little long and prune the feeder to resonance.

20' is high enough on Six for a reasonable DX take-off angle, but it's also one wavelength above ground. With a horizontal Dipole you should be happier with the lobe pattern at three half-waves (30') above ground. Higher is usually better for local work, but do the best you can with what you have... That's what the rest of us do.

- AC5UP

Never change a password on a Friday                
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2002, 02:41:36 PM »

Understand that while a dipole is directional, it's not *that* directional.  The nulls off the ends aren't that deep, and are less significant the lower the dipole is to the ground.  I used to think my dipole on 6m stunk too, until there was an *opening*.  Then it sounded like 20 meters from 50.1-50.3.  Worked half a dozen states and dozens of grids running an MFJ 3W QRP SSB rig and the dipole, which jumpstarted my interest to getting a yagi.  Dipoles are quick, simple, cheap and they work.  Put one up while you're looking for the next better thing, you've got nothing to lose.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
k5lxp@arrl.net
W5WJP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2003, 01:31:10 PM »

I've tried the Isotron and I agree, a random length of coax is better. Now I have a Comet GP-15 triband 6/2/440 vertical and it works ok, not great but decent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: