Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Operating Etiquette- 6 Meters  (Read 446 times)
N8FVJ

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2003, 07:36:49 PM »

A few weeks ago I was operating on 6 meters. An operator from Georgia/Florida area asks what transceiver I am using. After replying a IC-746PRO, the 'slob' goes on how he would never spend that kind of money and his '706' is a better deal. The '706' is about hopeless for very weak signal aurora work at my QTH. I have used both transceivers side by side. Anyways, how does one handle this bad information this 'blabber' mouth transmits on the air. His lack of knowledge is a disservice to the amateur community and ICOM! It is especially disturbing on a band such as 6 meters that has a technical group of operators also helping newcomers to the band.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2003, 07:50:29 PM »

Was the slob a KC4? If it was, ignore the knucklehead.

Every hobby as gadflies and I worked this guy a while back mobile using my 706. He said a few unkind words about mobile too. My mother always told me about people like this; Fools names and fools faces often appear in public palces, and I add...hearing them too.

Alan, KØBG

WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2003, 10:24:27 PM »

Just ignore the slob.  He's entitled to his opinion, but that doesn't mean he's right.  Make a note of the call, and don't bother talking to him again.
K0KP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2003, 01:30:50 AM »

Easy fix for your blues OM.  Switch to CW.

CW...it's digital, it's hot, it rocks, and It Rules!

http://www.qsl.net/k0kp
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2003, 08:27:42 AM »

Personally I would have asked him if he understood receiver intermodulation and intercept point performance. The IC 706 front end just plain sucks when you talk about IMD performance. But, it was designed to be mobile where it wouldnt normally see strong signals. If I recall correctly, the 746/756 receiver has 15 dB higher third order intercept point. That's a HUGE difference in performance in a crowded band. Night and day really.

I have both an IC-706 and an IC-756ProII and as you can imagine and said, doing an A/B comparison on the same antenna setup, the ProII kicks the butt of the IC 706 on weak signals in a busy band. Infact, the 706 is basically useless on weak signal 40m at night due to having to use the front end attenuator to kill the intermod distortion.

In short, the 706 is a great little mobile rig and only a mediocre base rig. I'd never use my 756 mobile, never!

... or you could just ignore him for the fool he is.

K5DVW

KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2003, 09:49:36 AM »

Hello Jim.  The best way to handle the matter is (1) Don't argue because you will waste your time and (2) Don't let comments like that get to you. The way I deal with life is driven by my age. I'm now in my 50's and don't have time to suffer fools or to carry baggage.

Merrill
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2003, 10:44:31 AM »

Jim, you've received some great replies!

I don't bother arguing with anyone on the air.  Life's too short, and so are band openings on six meters!  Had I been in your place, I'm sure I would have said, "Yep, you're right about everything!  Happy New Year and see ya later."  And that would have been that.

For some unknown reason, it does seem that six has more than its fair share of "experts" who wouldn't know a filter from a turnip.  It's been that way for several years, now.  Normally, that doesn't matter, but when the band opens and some of these dopes get on the air with wide, splattering signals and having no knowledge of how to operate, it is annoying.  Especially when one operates almost on top of a rare DX station.  <Sigh.>
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2003, 11:02:25 AM »

C'mon now... No band is immune from lids, kids and space cadets, although I will agree Six tends to have a higher percentage of Newbies learning the ropes.

On the rare occassions where I'm in the presence of a blowghard, I'll take the first excuse to end the Q and move on. Life IS too short to worry about a dB one way or the other and if you can hear each other... It Works.

- AC5UP

Never change a password on a Friday                
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2003, 02:45:46 PM »

I did not say anything except, 'tnx for contact' & signed off. I am hoping enough hams that heard the comments on 6 meters views this. I would not want a ham to make a mistake of buying a '706' for 6 meter high-performance work. The '706' is for casual 6 meter communications when the band is wide open.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: