Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: double wave loop for 160??  (Read 300 times)
N7ZDR

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2003, 08:26:19 PM »

Hello,
I am thinking about putting up a double wave loop for 160 meters (1080 feet) and was wondering if anyone has any comments on it and IF it is worth the added work over  a full wave loop. I will feed it with 450 ohm  line and can keep it up about 40 feet.. How would it work on 80 and 40? How about for the tune up? This would also be in a square and fed on a corner.
Thanks for any and all comments.
Larry
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 09:32:24 PM »

Larry; a loop is close to 100 percent efficent. It will radiate virtually all the RF you feed it. A double, triple, or quadruple loop won't do any better. Nor, assuming you have half of all outdoors to string antennas, will a 160 Meter Rhombic.

But the Rhombic will aim your signal fore and aft along the axis of the antenna. The loop is essentially an omni-directional antenna. Multiplying it won't make it directional. I can see the point in a Rhombic, but increasing the size of a loop is pretty much pointless. So why bother?

73  Pete Allen  AC5E

W2PA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 09:49:32 PM »

I've been considering the same thing.  From what I read (in the ARRL antenna book and elsewhere) the advantage to going past one wavelength is getting a lower angle of radiation.  It gets lower, and works better for DX the higher in the bands you use it.  Thus the one wavelength loop for 160 will work okay, but will be better for DX on 80, 40, etc.  The radiation pattern gets more lobes at higher frequencies too.  Look over some of the literature on it - it's interesting.  As soon as the cold weather moderates somewhat, I'm going to try it.
W2PA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 10:17:55 PM »

In addition to the Antenna Book, see the various web sites such as:
http://www.cebik.com/atl1.html
http://webpages.charter.net/donsno/loop.htm
There are others.

73, Chris, W2PA
(p.s. If you get yours in the air before it warms up here, let me know how it works.)
N7ZDR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2003, 11:21:06 PM »

Thanks for the replies! and i kind of agree with you pete. And the 2 sites on the web are great. the double wave seems to just lower the take off angle a bit, but not by much. once again thanks for the replies.... Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: