Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Prices on Ham Equiptment  (Read 261 times)
KA7ZIS

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2003, 03:48:51 PM »

I'm looking for a web site that will compare prices on Ham equiptment, simuliar to pricewatch.com for computer stuff. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Bob
W4KPA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 04:08:05 PM »

Check out
http://www.hamshopper.com

Bruce
W4KPA
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2003, 04:41:43 PM »

Hi Bob; While a good price is desirable - watch out for the "gotcha's." The price means nothing, the total you pay does. So does the service the dealer gives you both before and after the sale.

What's the dealers reputation and record? For that matter, what is the equipment makers reputation for reliability and service? Is the equipment in stock? Will it have to be ordered? What day will it be shipped? WHERE WILL IT BE SHIPPED FROM? When will your credit card be billed? Is there a surcharge for using a credit card? How much will your total be? What is the dealers policy if your new equipment fails to work on arrival? If it fails a few days after you get it?

ALL these things are vitally important. And of them all, the dealers reputation is by far the most important. A reliable dealer is worth a few bucks more because he will save you a bundle in the long run.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 06:55:28 PM »

Be careful when trying to save a few bucks on radios! Some hams are the tightest people I have ever known!  I have a good friend in another state who is fortunate to have a local ham dealer still in business -- a rarity in many parts of the country.  Recently, his local dealer had the radio he wanted but was $10 higher in price than an out-of-state, 800-number dealer.  He went with the out-of-state dealer to "save sales tax" plus the $10 saying he would save more this way even though he had to pay shipping!!  I could not believe it.  If he has problems, he now has to deal with an out-of-state dealer...most of whom will not take service inquiries on 800 numbers.  He will also have to ship the radio back (at his expense).  

For many of us, we no longer have local dealers to support and must depend on the 800-number guys -- and there are many GOOD ones!  But, if you are lucky to have local ham radio outlets, you should be thankful and support them first in every way possible as he will most likely personally handle any problems that might arise.  

In this case, I think that paying a few extra dollars is worth the peace of mind you will get.  

Tom, KR4BD
Lexington, KY
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 07:04:16 PM »

I suggest supporting your favorite ham radio shop. I will buy at the same dealer unless they are just overpriced. What will happen is in ten years we end up with two dealers for radios, two for towers, two for this or that.....not good for the hobby to nickel dime most shops out of existance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: