Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RM HLA300V  (Read 6071 times)
F8DRA

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2007, 08:05:47 AM »

Hi,
I've bought the RM HLA300V few weeks ago for portable and mobile operations, and i do not know for what the small catch located at the back is used Huh??  You have the RX catch and of course the TX catch but what is that third little catch for Huh nothing is explained on the scheme !
Thanks in advance for your help.

F8DRA, Marc

marc-boucher@wanadoo.fr
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 10:31:39 AM »

The RM HLA 300V is advertised as a "Professional Linear Amplifier" so it is not an Amateur Linear.
The information is sparse but it looks to be a "CB" type amp and probably has no bandpass filtering.

Quelle domage
73 Allen
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 01:05:45 PM »

Hi Marc,

The RM Italy HLA 300 series has three ports on the back side besides the red and black power leads. Radio input, Antenna output and a Key line which is a RCA connector. If you use the SSB sense the keying has a 1 second delay or you can use the key line which connects to your PTT on your transceiver. The key line is jumper programmable to positive voltage or grounded keying.

The amplifier will put out about 450 watts peak in SSB mode at 14.4 VDC and has automatic or manual band switching for the low pass filter network. Harmonic output is better than 55 dB on all bands. There is a frequency counter chip that selects the proper loss pass filter. I have tested the unit and it performs very well. The construction is very good using standard engineering practices and uses a quad of SD1446 transistors.

This amplifier is built for the international market but I have found it to be equal quality to any amplifier in this wattage range made anywhere. No it is not FCC certified, not that this matters in your country,  but many amplifiers in use today not to mention home brew megawatt amplifiers are not certificated units. The use of a clean amplifier and proper operation is up to the operator. Many of the FCC and other country certificated amplifiers can be operated out of specification with over driven inputs and improper loading.

The amplifier will be fine for SSB and CW duty but not for RTTY, PSK31 or FM due to the limited duty cycle.  If you want a complete review send your E-Mail address to: k6aer@arrl.net
F8DRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 01:41:57 PM »

"Quelle domage " WHY Huh? have you got an other idea ? what other kind of amplifier could i use for portable or mobile operations ? Here in Europe we don't really have the choice, That's the reason why i bought that one...... Shops here  are not selling other kind of mobile amplifier, it's the only one.
Anyway, i can tell you that it seems to work very well at my home station, it runs almost 500 Watts Max not 600 like RM says (with minimum 40 Amp)!
K6AER, thanks for your reply, i will send you an email tomorow no problem !
By example for Allen, yesterday i 've made a QSO with a station in WA state near Seattle, with the amplifier he was hearing me 57 on 20M SSB, and i tried to switch the amplifier off and suddenly this station in WA state told me that he was not hearing me very well, i was lost in the QRM level according to him. After several tests everyone told me that my  audio was still very clean and clear as when i'm running barefoot, no splaterring etc......
Thanks and have a nice day

F8DRA, Marc
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 04:03:56 PM »

I meant that it was too bad that there wasn't much information available.  I am happy to know that it is a good working, clean amp with output filtering.
I surely coundn't tell that from the avertisements.
73 Allen
F8DRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 01:50:13 PM »

Good evening, i'm still using the HLA 300 with great pleasure in my mobile station. It really works well according to me but since few days it  has tendency to switch off without my permission Hihi !

The SWR doesn't move, it's still the same ! so i don't understand why it tends to switch off suddenly like this without any reason Huh??

It can run during several minutes and suddenly STOP working ! then i have to switch it off manually and switch it on manually if i want it to be operationnal again.

I'd like to have your opinion, i don't know if there are some users and owners here but your opinion will be welcome Wink

But i'd like to say that  i keep my opinion, it 's a good Amplifier according to me Wink just this little problem which appears rarely.

73' to all and sorry for my english

F8DRA, Marc
WA4EQW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 06:20:13 PM »

I realize that this posting is about a year late but let me give you my experience with the HLA300 amp from RM of Italy.  If you go to qrz, you will see my operating set up.  With 10w of drive, expect a full 450 watts SSB, and about 400 on cw.  If you like to ragchew, don't get the one without the three fans on the top.  There are three connections on the back:- an RCA jack for PTT, and two coax connectors for low power drive input (10w max) and antenna output.  This amp expects to see really close to 1:1 to the antenna and you can expect it to trip out if the match is over 1.5:1.  I have used this amp regularly on 80 with a HI-Q 4/80 whip on my roof, and consistently get 5/9+ from England on 3787kHz almost any night.  Of course, G0EVY's full sized 80 meter beam does have something to do with it.  Again, Hams let me warn you... do NOT over drive this amp and DO get the one with the 3 cooling fans on the top.  Filtering is great all the way from 160 through 10.  I operate mine in the same room as my TV with the HI-Q just 12' over my head.
Pat. wa4eqw
AD4C2006

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 04:28:38 PM »

For many years I have used all these amps HLA-300 and 350 with the 3 fans on top,when I purchased the first one I was suspecting to be a not clean amp like the others RM Italy made,my mistake,I put it for test on my bench and checked the output with my shop Motorola Service monitor and at level of 400W PEP with 20W input using a steady 14V from a 100A PS,the hamrmonics were very low.the whole spectrum looked very clean,no spurious freqs,nothing wrong at all from this amp.I had it for many years,switching different cars and different radios to drive it like 706Mk2G,Alinco DX-70,TS-50,etc and always making a very clean signal,filters are very well designed and electronically selected.Its a good buy no matter they are not FCC aproved.

AD4C
Lake Worth
FL
N4PAL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 06:25:39 AM »

This amplifier is a sleeper.

I found this information and will pass it on to anyone that is looking for a good priced mobile amplifier.

Take a look at this users review:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pa0fri/Lineairs/HLA300/hla300eng.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: