Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC2KL questions  (Read 464 times)
N5FW

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2009, 10:45:37 AM »

Hi,
I picked up a used IC2KL amp recently from SK ham sale, serial #01705.  It is just the amp, no cables, no AT500, etc.  How hard is it to pick the other stuff up? Right now, I dont even have a way to test it, but I think it should be ok.  The ham in question always took care of his stuff.  I bought it from his daughter, who is not a ham and knew nothing about it. If you know about this amp and where to point me, it would be appreciated, thanks.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 04:46:04 PM »

I have two of them. I assume you got the PS with it. If not, that item will be very difficult to find.

The main thing to remember about the 2KL, is drive power. Just 35 watts is all it needs on 75, and perhaps 40 on 10 meters. And.... and it is a big and, you HAVE TO USE the ALC as it is part of the protection circuitry. Leave it disconnected and I'll almost guarantee you'll blow a final, and they are not cheap!

The one I use has been in service since 1979, and has never hiccuped. The spare is still in factory boxes, just in case.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

PS: I have board layouts, schematics, and manual. Their former two are large enough that they can't be scanned.

VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 05:43:50 PM »

If you don't have the IC-2KLPS power supply...they are difficult to find, but a wanted ad might produce one. Otherwise, you will need a regulated 40V DC supply, capable of 23 amps. 40V DC is a slightly uncommon voltage, but they can be sourced used and refurbished on ebay.

If you don't have the PS and therefore don't know if the RF deck still works, you can do basic testing with a 40V DC supply up to 5 amps. If the RF deck draws arounf (from memory) 3-3.5 amps from the supply when keyed, without applying any drive, there is a fair chance that both finals and the protection circuitry are ok. Less than than might indicate one or both finals are gone.

The DC plug takes a standard Molex. The 24 pin ACC connector takes a current Molex housing/plug I have the number somewhere, I think it is available from Digikey. The pins (0.062 Male) have to be ordered separately from the connector housing. I think they can also still be obtained from Icom in Japan. W2ENY also sells made up cables.

I also have the schematics, in (2) A3 size. They were made up by sticking together the A4s together. They could be stuck together again, to form a single complete schematic, but I have not bothered to do that I I have them bound together in a volume.

VR2AX
AJ4CU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 11:09:10 AM »

Hi,

I have a power supply for that amp, the rf deck got destroyed and I got the PS it is the original Icom and is in good physical condition, I have never powered it because I do not have the rest and wishful thinking made me keep it but if you can use it make me a reasonable offer so I don't have to post it on eBay...

73  DE  AJ4CU
Hari
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: