Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Receiving antennas  (Read 310 times)
BZ001GB

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2003, 03:35:18 PM »

Dear all,

I have done my exams and I am awaitng my licence and callsign. Meanwhile I am setting up my station. I have pretty much sorted my transmitting antennas setup form top to low band. BUT I am also a dedicated listener!!

After much research etc I chose The Wellbrook Communications ALA 1530 Active antenna for 50 Khz to 30 Mhz. These are the published specs for this antenna but it gives quite acceptable preformance to 100Mhz apparently(proven by SWM here in the UK). My problem and therefore question is as follows: What single BROADBAND receiving antenna would you knowledgable people advise for VHF (say 80MHZ) upwards towards UHF(say 7 to 800 mhz). Exclude all satelites as I have seperate antennas for these.

My Ideas were LDPA, Horizontal loop, Vertical loop, long wire and some other minor ones. The advantage is none will be very big at these FRZ's but I wish the BEST possible reception, low noise and easy maintainance. Cost is not a factor. Looking forward to your highly appreciated informed opnions. Receivers are Racal (3), Ten Tec RX-340, Ic 9000, VR5000, Ic 8500 and several Drake Hallicrafters etc. Thus from the most modern sophisticated DSP's to classic valve equipment , If this should make any difference.

Thank you in advance

Etienne Swanepoel
Bude
Cornwall
UK
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 03:52:40 PM »

Whenever I see the word 'broadband' in the context of VHF/UHF work, the first antenna that comes to mind is a Discone. Omnidirectional and vertically polarized, they look odd and are a bit complicated mechanically (which explains why you don't see them on every rooftop), but you'd be hard pressed to find anything with a broader practical bandwidth...

- AC5UP

Never change a password on a Friday                
N6HBJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 01:49:25 PM »

Yes, I totally agree. By and large, the "discone" is simply appropriate.

It is inexpensive $59.99 US dollars at "Radio Shack", covers 25-1300 Mhz, about 3 1/2 feet tall, easy to assemble (took me 1/2 an hour), PLUS it can be used to transmit on 50, 144, 220, 440, 900, and 1296 HAM bands (unity gain). Hows that?!

Mike
N6HBJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2003, 02:01:41 PM »

Just re-read your post and I see that you want the "BEST" possible performance. If you want the best than you will need several different antennas for each band. Remember, that multiband antennas are a compromise!

That being said, I still think for UHF/VHF scanner operations, it it better to have a multiband antenna such as the discone because it is convieniant to use and if mounted OUTDOORS and especially with high elevation, will be a good all around performer. So I think the Discone will be sufficient for 90% of people who are "general purpose" scanning.

Mike
BZ001GB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 02:16:43 PM »

Thank you all,

Discone is on order,

Thanks

Etienne Swanepoel
Cornwall
UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print