Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to wire an Alliance U-110 Rotor Box  (Read 1581 times)
BIGOSCAR32

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2003, 03:38:12 PM »

> I just bought a house that has an Alliance U-110 Tenna
> Motor. They had unhooked the wires from the control
> box and I need help as to how the wires should be
> hooked back up.
>
> There are four wires:  red, white, green, and black.
> There are numbers:  1,2,3,4 on the control box, with 3
> and 4 having a metal switch to push down on them to
> turn out the light inside the box.
>
> Thanks for and help.
>
> Doug Simpson
> Please send e-mail to: bigoscar32@yahoo.com
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 04:18:03 PM »

Unfortunately, there's not enough info to answer your question.  The real question is: how are those four wires connected to the rotor terminals?  When you take the plastic cover off of the rotor housing to see how the wires are connected, here's how the terminals are numbered:  Upper left - 1, Upper right - 2, Lower left - 3, Lower right - 4.  You connect the cable so that each terminal number is connected to the same number on the rotor control box.  With an ohmeter, you should have continuity between rotor terminals 1 and 4, and between terminals 2 and 3.  Rotor terminal 4 is grounded to the aluminum housing.  Good luck!
N0NOB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 11:25:08 PM »

Doug:
Sent you a copy of the U-110 Manual as a PDF file.
Apologize for the size.

Irv NĂ˜NOB        
BIGOSCAR32

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 05:50:26 AM »

Irv,

I got your e-mail stating that you had sent me a copy of the U-110 manual on a PDF file.

There was no attachment with the manual on the e-mail. Could you please re-submit. Thanks.

Please send to: bigoscar32@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Doug
N0NOB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2003, 10:26:39 AM »

Doug:
My email was returned to me. Will try again!
Does Yahoo accept attachments?
If it doesn't work, provide mailing address and will
send via snailmail.

Irv
irvinf@gtw.net
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2003, 12:49:47 PM »

Yep - I wouldn't trust the installer to have used any conventional color coding.  Best to check it at the rotor.  Good luck es 73 de kt8k- Tim
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2003, 01:39:27 PM »

The problem is that color-coded cable wasn't used for these rotors.  Almost all were installed with the rotor cable of the day, a flat four conductor cable.  It's just about the same size as 300 ohm twinlead and the rotor itself was made to accomodate the physical characteristics of this cable.  The common method of installation was to connect to the rotor terminals starting on one side of the cable and working to the other side.  Unfortunately, due to the way the rotor terminals are numbered, that makes the sequence of the leads 3,1,2,4.  Since the rotor controller terminals were in 1,2,3,4 order, you had to connect the rotor 3 lead to terminal 3 on the controller and then the other leads in sequence.  Most of this wire had one outside lead that was tinned (others were bare copper), so you could tell which wire was for terminal #3.  By the way, these Alliance rotors were made to last just about forever and you can still buy parts for them.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: