The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One advantage of CW nobody has mentioned  (Read 2013 times)
AG4DG

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2003, 01:34:33 PM »

I thought of an advantage of using Morse Code that nobody has mentioned.

You can operate AND listen to music at the same time.  If you operate SSB (or another voice mode), you risk having some of the music get transmitted.  Transmitting music is against FCC rules.

However, if you operate CW (or any other digital mode), this is not an issue.  So when you operate CW (or any other digital mode), you can listen to all the Britney Spears, Mandy Moore, Barry Manilow, Metallica, Beethoven, Doris Day, Beatles, and Everly Brothers songs you want to.  You can even listen to the Lords of Acid, Eminem, and Ice-T.  (Well, if your Eminem songs get into the transmission, you can always claim it's not real music.  However, you would get busted for breaking the anti-profanity rules.)
ADVANCED

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 01:42:41 PM »

I have never operated CW before but now I feel that I must learn this mode so that I can listen to Doris Day and Eminem while operating.
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 02:22:22 PM »

yeah but you can't paint or work on your pottery !
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 02:32:56 PM »

Well, one advantage of learning and operating CW is the mental discipline it enforces.

Back in the days when elementary school teachers said it once and required pupils to learn or else, the ability to concentrate on the subject at hand was acquired early. Usually in the first week of formal schooling.

That is no longer the case, and both discipline and educational levels have suffered for it. CW isn't a cure but it's a start.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
KC0ODY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 02:57:43 PM »

Hoo boy, I don't know about anybody else, but I need absolute SILENCE when I'm in the middle of a QSO using Code. I am easily distracted and when I am planning on having a QSO or calling CQ, I tell the kids not to disturb me unless the house is on fire. I also make use of my headphones, which helps keep out background noise. I am just not one of those people who can be doing something that requires a lot of concentration, and listen to music at the same time.
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 03:05:12 PM »

One I can think of...

You can operate if you have teeth extracted and can't talk.   that is if you feel like doing anything at all.

Allison
W3FHW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 03:39:22 PM »

One might as well listen to music as quite a few of the CW signals I hear can't be copied anyway. Is it me or are some CW signals so jumbled they are almost impossible to copy? I say this because there are quite a few very good and easy to copy signals and then some that are just a jumble of dits and dahs. Maybe it's my ears going bad!!
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2003, 03:50:52 PM »

Some years back I was more active in RTTY. One guy in the local club was very much active on that mode. Largely because he could no longer speak due to throat cancer surgery. I don't know if he liked CW but he was sure a big promoter for RTTY.

VE6ADD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2003, 06:05:13 PM »

** For some of us, CW is the sweetest music....

Herman, VE6ADD
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2003, 07:23:11 PM »

W3FHW.One might as well listen to music as quite a few of the CW signals I hear can't be copied anyway. Is it me or are some CW signals so jumbled they are almost impossible to copy? I say this because there are quite a few very good and easy to copy signals and then some that are just a jumble of dits and dahs. Maybe it's my ears going bad!!    

I'm with you.  Too many dits, too much run-together stuff.   I hate to say it, but it puts in a good word for the keyboard CW.  Does make one wonder, though, about the continuing education past the VEC exam.  There ain't none!

To me the advantage of CW is that I can do it.  Another skill under my greatly expanding belt.  And Joe CB can't do it, and that alone makes it worth the effort.

Ed

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2003, 09:59:31 PM »

Another advantage to PSK-31 is you can listen to music and still operate just like you can on CW and RTTY. It makes a boring day great when you can stand by on the rig and also listen to your favorite music.
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2003, 10:12:39 PM »

PLUS.  If you are really talented, one can chew gum while doing CW!

AND, I agree--too many dits on the airwaves.  Let's all use just dahs, one dah twice as long.

;-))

Bob

K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2003, 01:51:38 PM »

Yeah, but you can do the same thing with any of the digital modes.
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2003, 09:26:43 AM »

I listen to CW when I'm doing things around the house, including watching TV.  I tune the rig to one of my favorite CW frequencies and let it play, and sometimes snag a rare one when they first come on the band.  

I've told my family that, if I am ever (heavens forbid) in a coma or otherwise "vegetablized", they should watch for twitching that might be an attempt to communicate by morse code.  They know to have a ham friend over to check me out, since if I can move one muscle, I can still talk!

Sign seen at Dayton: If it wasn't for CW, it would all just be CB!

73 de kt8k - Tim
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2003, 04:26:49 PM »

Just FYI, while not the best operating practice, music in the background, NOT intentionally transmitted, is not illegal.  Just consider all the special event stations set up at various fair grounds, etc., where noise of all kinds, including music, are part of the environment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: