Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-570SG for 60 meter upgrade  (Read 376 times)
W1SAF

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2003, 05:10:03 PM »

Has anyone inquired to Kenwood yet about an upgrade/mod for 60 meters. I e-mailed them and the answer I got a couple of months ago was "nothing at this time". Kind of upset since the rig is only 4 months old. I have not received any more response on that matter.
Stu W1SAF  
W1SAF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 05:24:58 PM »

I just received an updated e-mail about the upgrade/mod from Kenwood with links for everything but the answer I was looking for, and basically it was several pages of rules and regs with a bunch of does and don'ts, warnings,  and warranty disclaimers but still no actual answer about sending the rig to them for mod. Any info would be appreciated. thanks.
Stu W1SAF
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 05:56:57 PM »

You can do a Google search for the general coverage tranmitter mods.  Kenwood probably won't tell you how for fear of a product liability issue.  They'll most likely have to redo the firmware for the radio before they have an "official" solution, and it will problably require changing the PROM.
W4JH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 06:38:50 PM »

See www.mods.dk
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 06:52:41 PM »

Understand that just by "cutting the diode" and enabling unlimited transmit does not mean the radio will meet spectral purity and other transmitter performance specifications.  Unless you know for a fact, either by direct measurement or assurance from the manufacturer, that these emission standards are met within the proposed frequency range, you are taking a chance that you will interfere with other services in or out of band.  Since no manufacturer other than Ten Tec is endorsing a 60M "mod" for their radios, the silence is speaking volumes about what emission issues may exist for various radios.

Few amateurs are equipped to do such measurements, it would be nice if someone like the ARRL (who is equipped) would test a few representative mainstream transceivers and issue a report.  I doubt that many currently operating on 60M have any clue if their radios are generating spurious emissions or not.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
k5lxp@arrl.net
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2003, 07:20:44 PM »

All solid state transmitters have either a bandpass filter or a low pass filter at transmitter output to insure compliance with "spectral purity" regulations.

Bandpass filters cover a ham band, plus perhaps a little for MARS. As far from the "old ham bands" as 60 is you can bet "clipping the diode" will shortly result in a burnt up bandpass filter. And you can pretty much bet factory service will not honor the warranty.

Modifying one of these rigs for 60 will take a major redesign, and it's not likely that any factory will put the time and effort into that. Too much cost for too small a market.

On the other hand, a rig with a low pass filter at the output may work very well on 60. If you can find an approved mod from the rig maker, or one on an official US Government web site such as the CAP site; and IF you have the equipment needed to verify frequency accuracy, audio bandwidth, and power output it should be OK to modify the rig. Just proceed very cautiously, always keeping in mind you have probably voided the warranty!

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
WD8DKB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2003, 09:27:56 PM »

Hello Stu. For the mod you are inquiring about go to http://www.mods.dk/   This is a site sent to me from Kenwood. My TS570DG apparently had this mod when I purchased it used at Ft.Wayne hamfest. It gives full output and all features work. E-mail me for additinal sites received from Kenwood. Hope this helps. 73s Max WD8DKB
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2003, 10:36:17 PM »

<< Bandpass filters cover a ham band, plus perhaps a little for MARS. As far from the "old ham bands" as 60 is you can bet "clipping the diode" will shortly result in a burnt up bandpass filter. And you can pretty much bet factory service will not honor the warranty.

Modifying one of these rigs for 60 will take a major redesign, and it's not likely that any factory will put the time and effort into that. Too much cost for too small a market.  >>

Sorry, Pete, but you are wrong on this one. I have used my 570 and two Alinco DX70THs for several 5-meg MARS frequencies for three years and they all three work just fine and put out clean signals. All that was required was the 'standard' MARS/CAP mod on all three rig.

Lon
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 12:21:28 AM »

Also isn't there a frequency in alaska on or near 60 M as an emergency freq,,
WA1RKA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2003, 08:03:22 PM »

Stu,
Take a look at the Radio Mods seciton on qrz.com and you will find the modification. I havent implemented it yet,but it involves removing one Surface Mount Resistor from a circuit board on the front part of the chassis. It probably will take more time to remove the screws from the top and bottom panels,plus getting the front panel loose than it does to do the actual mod.

John
wa1rka
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: