About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-830S  (Read 240 times)
KE4IZA

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2003, 09:04:19 PM »

I have aquired an old TS-830S and no manual.  Can anyone tell me how the RF power output is controlled?  On current rigs it is usually a control knob.

Thanks
KC0MS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 10:27:53 PM »

By adjusting the "Carrier / Mike" controls just to the left of the VFO.  In the absense of an actual power meter, the relative power output could be indicated on the VU meter.
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 02:22:55 AM »

The Carrier control only works in the CW position. It's adjusted for approx. 250 ma of plate current. Since this is a CW/SSB rig there was no real need for a variable power output control. On tune up, in the meter tune position, the Carrier control is used to set the ALC point on the meter. On SSB, rotating Carrier control full CW or CCW has no effect on your output power.

Relative power output can be viewed by putting the meter switch in the RF position while transmitting.

If you're looking for low level output to drive a transverter, it's available on the transverter jack in the rear.

Pete, WA2CWA
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 02:27:16 AM »

One more. Borrow a manual, download a manual, buy a manual. Without it, you will never utilize the full potential of the 830.

Pete, WA2CWA
www.manualman.com
N6NJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 12:05:42 PM »

Read your post. I used to have a TS-830S.
I can send you the complete owners manual and service manual for $5.00 plus shipping, these are not copies, but originals.
73 Dan N6NJS
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 01:35:49 PM »

KE4IZA, the short answer is that the power output on the TS-830S is *not* adjustable, except when using CW.  On SSB, the rig runs full power all the time.

However, by applying a variable negative voltage to the ALC connections on the rear panel of the TS-830S (accessory plug), you can indeed vary SSB output power from "full" to virtually "nothing."  This represents a modification or accessory, and is not a feature of the rig as built by Kenwood.

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: