Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS 820 DC-DC Converter  (Read 711 times)
KD5MPM

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2003, 12:39:52 PM »

WHERE can I get a DS-1 converter for my TS 820? I am a RVer, and use SOLAR POWER to run my gear...(DC-AC inverters do NOT work on the TS 820, NOR on my Zenith TransOceaniac600series....MUCHO 60cycle HUMmmmmmmm!)
Thanx 4 ur help, 73 & dittos...John <kd5mpm777@Yahoo.com>   117 Lakeshore Drive, Hot Springs, Arkansas (501) 625-7507
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 01:59:57 PM »

Good luck finding a DS-1.  You can lurk on ebay and hope one turns up.

You can run the TS-820 from a DC/AC inverter--if you use the correct type.  The inverters sold at most RV outlets are modified sinewave units.  They work for toasters and microwaves, but not with sensitive electronic equipment.

What you need is called a sinewave inverter.  A Google search of either "sine wave inverter" or "sinewave inverter" will yield 1000s of links.  Study the spec sheets at the manufacturers' web sites and pick a unit that will fit your RV and load requirements.
N6KB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 04:02:32 PM »

DC to AC Converters, commonly called inverters, come in several flavors. The simplest and cheapest have historically been Square Wave inverters. The next step up is called a modified sine wave inverter, but this description has no doubt come from the overactive imaginations of marketing department people, not from electronics engineers. If you were to look at the waveform on an oscilloscope, you would call it a modified SQUARE WAVE, NOT a SINE WAVE. Both of these type of inverters produce waveforms rich in harmonics of the 60 Hz square wave (or modified square wave) that they put out. This can cause big problems with any equipment that really needs a clean sine wave to operate properly. This can cause noise in any DC supply that is eventually derived from the AC input to a power supply. This noise will show up as a buzzing sound in audio equipment, probably some kind of bars or sync problems in video equipment, as well as possible damage to equipment, because voltage regulation circuits may not work right. Modified sine wave inverters are slightly better than just plain square wave inverters, but ususally not good enough. What you really want is a TRUE SINE WAVE Inverter.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 04:07:34 PM »

I don't remember the specs on the Kenwood, but you may
be able to modify an old Heathkit HP-13 or other mobile
power supply from the tube era to generate the voltages
the radio needs.  Generally these produced around 600V
HV, 250 to 300V for the screens, and -100V or so bias.

And it seems to me that some of the early TS-520s came
stock with the 12VDC capability - it might be possible
to scavange the DC-DC inverter from one of them.

Otherwise see if you can modify the radio to use +12VDC
straight from an external source while still powering
the HV circuits from the built-in power supply.  This
may take some rewiring of the power plugs, but I
suspect the HV power supply is much less susceptable
to 60 Hz hum than the lower level stages when run from
a less-than-optimum inverter.
KB8UMD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 06:55:57 PM »

I found this information that may apply to what you are doing.  You might be able to modify this circuit for a TS-830s for the 820.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/martin.atwsm/TS830S.html

John/KB8UMD
K1ZC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2003, 09:24:34 AM »

You might post the question here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-520_820_530_830/

Lot of experienced 820 owners hang out there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: