Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity Call Sign  (Read 557 times)
KD7EVS

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2003, 12:37:57 AM »

Are there still restrictions on vanity call signs and what class of amateur can apply for which calls?

I'm pretty sure there was at one point, and I think there still is but can't find it anywhere online.

I'm a tech right now am in the process of upgrading.  in "seven land" there aren't that many short calls open.   there less than 50 1x2's open or going to be in the next 2 years. I'm made a list of the calls I'd like to have and I'm trying to decide if I should wait till after I upgrade or apply now.  the call I want doesn't come availible for another couple of weeks and I know I don't want take the test while in the middle of a vanity application, and waiting a week or two after it comes open would be leaving it to chance.

I'm going for the extra ticket and I'm confident, so long as I pass morse code -morse code and I don't agree much.

I like my current call KD7EVS so long as I'm talking to some one I know, it rolls of the tounge. but in a net, or talking to people that don't know me especially on SSB the D the E and the V all get confused as other letters and there is no way anyone will ever get my call right without the use of phonetics.

So, are there still restricions on 1x2, and 1x3 vanity call signs?

Seven Three
zeb
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2003, 12:48:09 AM »

yes there are limits.

A technician and general can request a 2x3 or a 1x3, and extra may request a 2x3, 1x3, 2x2, 2x1 or 1x2.

You may also request the next call out of the computer, for a tech that would be a 2x3 since all of the 1x3's have been issued, an extra would get a 2x2 starting with an A.

IF you plan to go to the extra, just wait until you have the extra and then ask for an extra call unless you want a 1x3 and currently anyone can get one (except Novice).
WA2JJH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2003, 07:30:09 AM »

1 BY 2'S for extra's are extremly hard to get the one I WANT! I WANTED A W2--.  THAT IS A TALL ORDER IN 2 LAND! I REFUSE AN N BY 2. I WILL NOT TAKE A K CALL BEACUSE THAT SHOULD BE RESERVERD FOR THE WEST COAST
IMHO OR JUST MY OLD TIMER PREJUDICES.

FWIW, I almost blew a cork. Some moron just got a vanity call for his 5 WPM GENERAL. I do not have a problem with generals of any code speed getting a vanity call. This LID just got his GENERAL upgrade a few months ago. In his profile he stated the only reason why he got his general was because the code speed dropped to 5WPM. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT EITHER!

However he made the mistake of mocking me in a thread. I KICKED HIS ASS, RUBBING HIS FACE INTO IT WITH HIS FEW MONTH OLD VANITY 5 WPM GENERAL CALL.

Vanity calls used to be reserved for extras.
1 by 2. IF an extra is that vain, for a 1 by 2, what is he so insecure about. Some of the general vanity calls seem like a waste of money. You do not see their initials in the call or anything special.

I liked the idea of commercial broadcasting. My old profession. W for the east coast. K for the west coast.
Now I see all these KC,KD,KE on the east coast.
They totally resemble the old CB call signs.
LIKE KC-XXX LOOKS LIKE AN OLD CB CALL.

I GUESS I AM STUCK WITH MY CALL TILL I AM AN SK.
One call I did have my eye on was K2ORS. That call belonged to the radio personality JEAN SHEPPERD-SK
JEAN lived right around the corner from my QTH.

If you want a nice vanity call, that will make you look like you have been a ham for 40 years try a W#XXX
like W4CVB. A 1 BY 3 starting with a W ARE very old.

I could have my old high school chums call N2HA.
He dropped out of ham radio. N2HA, would any body think I WAS FOR REAL!

GOOD LUCK. I hope you get the vanity call you want.
I remember when vanity was made available for extras,
many extra's had to apply for about 10 different 1 by 2's. The good ones went fast. Like W2NY,W2CW,W2AM,W2FM.W2RF,W2FU,W2EE,W2RX,W2TX, YOU GET THE IDEA.
K1RDD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2003, 10:08:54 AM »

There is a wealth of information on this web site:

http://www.vanityhq.com/

--... ...--
Doug
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2003, 03:31:45 PM »

Ditto what Doug just said.
However, you can't apply for one of the 1x2's until after you have upgraded, and the FCC database reflects the new privileges. THEN you can apply. Check at www.vanityhq.com and see what's available and what's ABOUT to become available. The site's FULL of great info so you can avoid making mistakes that can delay your app and maybe miss your window of opportunity on some of the desirable calls.
X-WB1AUW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2003, 08:52:45 PM »

That is why phonetics are used.

I got tired of sending my call WB1AUW.  I think it was right after I was on St. Kitts Island.  Sending V47/WB1AUW became tiresome.

I waited until the issued calls were in an area that I didn't have trouble with on CW, like d and b, s and h.  I wound up with NY1I, a nice distinct CW call.

When I moved to AZ, I just signed /7; got tired of that and of people asking me if I was in 1 land, because I was the only 1 they could hear.  SO when vanity calls were issued again, I applied for AE7G--I like its cadence on CW.  Thought it would be easy to copy.

I've run into problems on phone though. DX ops make me an EA7 or VE7.

I've always used phonetics on phone, for every call I have.

A friend of mine traded his 2X3 call for a vanity call in the early 80s(?).  He got AC1B, Apples Corn and 1 Bannaple-Can’t forget his call.

I used to hang out with WB1AUL, America’s Ugliest Lover (I was Awful Uncle Willie); he traded his call for a 2X2, and got KD4ST (Advanced—he hated CW!).  We called him KD4 Sweet Thing; don’t think he ever lived it down.  NO.  We were never on vhf/uhf.

An OT friend of ours decided to drop the 3rd letter in his original issue 1X3 call, for his vanity call.
To us, he became K1 Radio Queen.  It sorta upset him when we teased him with Radio Queen.

Sometimes I would hang out with AUL, and WB1AUV, trying to work DX.  The poor DX stations would get real confused with us.

Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: