Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna for HF/VHF/UHF  (Read 465 times)
W8DMC

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2003, 10:58:47 PM »

My father just gave me his older ICOM 7100R receiver to take to school. But I have no idea what it will do, as far as hearing stations. I love radio and have been working on my license, but have not done the code yet, and have been really at it hard. But, my question to you experts is, I'm told I can use what ever I'd like on this home three of us guys are renting in Ann Arbor, so what is a great antenna for this receiver. It's from 25-2000 MHz. My dad states it's ok to use a discone, or a long wire from the house second floor. But the guys and I have decided to buy a good one, because we are all into electronics and radios. SO guys and ladies, you all are the experts, what’s the best for this receiver? Thanks...Mark ( Soon to be Licensed Ham )
KB0ETC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2003, 11:05:08 PM »

Your dad is right.  You know father knows best.  A discone is a general coverage antenna usually optimized for 25-2000 Mhz, a sloper or long wire works best for frequencies below 25Mhz.  There are several SWL antennas, and amplified antennas out there.

Try using some amateur engineering and build an antenna to learn and practice some theory.
OBSERVER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2003, 11:23:59 PM »

Your Father knows best - Diamond Antennas makes a really nice Discone that would fit the bill.
KG4VPV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2003, 01:21:18 AM »

I recommend the ARRL Antenna Book.  Excellent references for amateurs and professionals alike.  I had never seen the book other that the online catalog on the ARRL site.  I was a little hesitant to pay that much for it, until I saw how thick it was sitting on a shelf at frys electronics.  I bought it immediatly.  Needless to say, the binding is almost broken from frequent use.  If your gonna spend the money though, and you have a way to mount it on the roof, or a nice lot where no one will bother it, the butternut vertical is the way to go.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2003, 02:25:35 AM »

radio shack makes a discone scanner antenna  for these freqs for $19.95.  save yur money for important things..
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2003, 11:09:13 AM »

Get a discone from Radio Shack.  No need to spend a bunch of money. One thing to remember though.  Use quality coax between the radio and antenna and keep the run as short as possible.  Use 9913 if you can get it.  Spend 90% of your antenna investment on the coax and 10% on the antenna.
W4QA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2003, 08:46:21 PM »

I agree with the other posters re: the discone antenna -- put it as high up in the air as you possibly can, in the clear and away from metallic items.  It should be a fine performer for you in the frequency range you indicated.

Also, definitely get good coax...don't skimp on this by buying cheap stuff -- and stay away from RG-8, or RG-213 for VHF/UHF applications.  As far as what to look for: the latest 9913 is called 9913F7 -- it is manufactured by Belden (beware of the imitations).  This stuff has double shielding and a nitrogen gas injected foam dielectric with a big stranded center conductor.  Super low loss in an RG-8 (.405") diameter coax, and flexible to boot.  You can search on Google to find sources for this...

The older 9913 got a bad reputation because the dielectric is air -- and if the connectors are not properly installed, it becomes a nice tube for water migration!  So...the 9913F7 was created and it works very, very well. No water incursion and no center conductor migration.

WA6OWH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2003, 01:09:30 AM »

I agree with the others... go the discone antenna route. The Radio Shack antenna should work well with good coax and connectors. Mount the antenna up high away from the gutter and trees.
   You could do a search for discone antenna on Google and find a design to build your self. The tough part is finding good aluminum rod at a good price and making the center hub where all the aluminum rods connect.
BIRDDOG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2003, 09:12:33 AM »

You have to admit; A discone is one of the coolest looking antennas for electronics and radio guys. VBG
XE1UFO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2003, 10:38:30 PM »

Get the discone and the good 9913 coax, BUT try to get your antenna ABOVE your roof line.  Maybe a Radio Skunk chimney mount or hose-clamp it to a roof vent pipe.

Long-wires would be great UNDER 30 Mhz.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: