Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Connect Yaesu 857D to relay for my SB200 Amplifier  (Read 1396 times)
N3FAW

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2009, 10:56:19 PM »

I intend to use the 8 pin to USB plug/cable to do digital RTTY. So how do I access the TX/Gnd pin to trip a relay to activate the SB200? I don't have the cable yet, but can't see how I can get at the Tx/Gnd pin.

My Icom 756 has a separate jack to connect to a relay for the SB200.

Will appreciate ideas - thanks!
VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 11:52:23 PM »

If the TX GND is not connected to anything in the 8-pin DIN to USB cable (check), then you could simply build a short adapter consisting a pair of back to back male/female DINs, and bring TX GND and GND out separately to RCA jacks (then to the amp buffer relay).

Might also be worth a look at the section on Yaesu CAT interfacing in the Ham Radio Deluxe user guide. Might give some clever ideas on using opto-electric couplers.

I suppose keying the amp manually via a footswitch may also be an option.
K2QPN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 06:15:14 PM »

I have an FT-857 and an SB-200. First, I installed a softkey (SK-201) module from Harbach Electronics in the SB-200. This will allow the FT-857 solid state switch key the SB-200 relay. Then, I bought an 8 pin mini-din extension cable (male to female). I cut the cable in half. I rejoined the cable ends in a small box. I brought ground and the tx ground out to an RCA connector mounted on the box. I ran an RCA cable from the box to the SB-200. I can use both the CAT interface and also key the SB-200. Good luck.

Bob Nelson - K2QPN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: