Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best base scanner antenna  (Read 1455 times)
KC7MFG

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2003, 11:17:36 PM »

I have been a little bored by the sunspot cycle and bought an Alinco DJ-X10 scanner and I am looking for a receive only antenna.  I am not interested in transmitting as I have my shack set up for that.  I am looking for an effective base and a mobile antenna. I know they can't be the same and that is OK.  I am new to the receive only scanner set so I would appreciate and advice.

Bill
k3yf
Fomerly kc7mfg
KG4RGN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 11:48:16 PM »

Try a Diamond Discone Antenna ( 25MHZ - 1300 MHZ).  I have it hooked up to my BC 780XLT and get great coverage.  Plus you can transmit on the antenna.  I worked a guy on 6 M SSB 3000 miles away on the discone.

Good luck and happy scanning.  
KA3JJZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 11:52:26 PM »

A lot of people have been impressed by the NilJon antennas, both mobile and base.  But don't take my word for it; check the antennas page on Rich Wells' excellant site, http://www.strongsignals.net

The antenna and coax page will be must reads (and not just because I rewrote the antenna page, either).  Standard disclaimer - I do write for Strong Signals, so my opinion is slanted  :.))

73s Mike  ka3jjz@erols.com
JIMBO3

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 07:15:44 AM »

Add me to the list recommending the Diamond Discone.  Great performance and built tough.
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2003, 11:10:27 AM »

I had a Diamond Discone a few years back and I would highly recommend it.  I also used it for transmitting on 2 M.  It was well-made and you can't beat the wideband coverage.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2003, 05:52:23 PM »

for about $19.95 buy a radioshack discone antenna an for another $19.95, pick up a radioshack 20 foot tal push up mast.. but get some better (not rat shack) rg8 cable, ( it will bring in the signals with less los than rg58 or even 8x
K7LZR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2003, 08:53:17 PM »

That Radio Shack discone actually costs 59.95. Works pretty good though. I've got one sitting at about 40ft.
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2003, 11:57:19 AM »

Don't know if the Radio Shack Disconne has a center element or not.  If it doesn't, your VHF low band reception will suffer.  Stick with the Diamond--you get what you pay for.  Also, I would use the best coax I could afford.  Good RG-8 at a minimum, and 9913 or similar if possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: